duplicating a database on a second server

duplicating a database on a second server

Post by elli.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

We have two Oracle servers, "live" and "development."
I need to copy a table from the live to the development one.
(Live is on Linux and Dev on NT, if it matters.)  Can somone
point me to the right tool?  If it's a choice between
copying the whole database over and copying nothing, I'll
do the former, but I'm hoping there's a way to just do
certain tables.

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

duplicating a database on a second server

Post by Mark Lybarge » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

you could try to export the table from production then truncate and import
the table into the devl. environment.

> We have two Oracle servers, "live" and "development."
> I need to copy a table from the live to the development one.
> (Live is on Linux and Dev on NT, if it matters.)  Can somone
> point me to the right tool?  If it's a choice between
> copying the whole database over and copying nothing, I'll
> do the former, but I'm hoping there's a way to just do
> certain tables.

> Thanks,

> -Jonathan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

duplicating a database on a second server

Post by Mohammed AL-Refai » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

you have to do it by export and import

> We have two Oracle servers, "live" and "development."
> I need to copy a table from the live to the development one.
> (Live is on Linux and Dev on NT, if it matters.)  Can somone
> point me to the right tool?  If it's a choice between
> copying the whole database over and copying nothing, I'll
> do the former, but I'm hoping there's a way to just do
> certain tables.

> Thanks,

> -Jonathan

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

duplicating a database on a second server

Post by Aarre Heikki » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi !

Use snapshots.

Aarre

>We have two Oracle servers, "live" and "development."
>I need to copy a table from the live to the development one.
>(Live is on Linux and Dev on NT, if it matters.)  Can somone
>point me to the right tool?  If it's a choice between
>copying the whole database over and copying nothing, I'll
>do the former, but I'm hoping there's a way to just do
>certain tables.

>Thanks,

>-Jonathan

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

duplicating a database on a second server

Post by TurkBe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

If all you want to do is copy 1or 2 ( or a few, one at a time)  tables, then you
can create  a Database link to the live server in your Dev one...

( See your docs for specifics on setting up a DB link) then, just

create table dev_table_name as select * from

hth
Note- this will not replicate any constraints, privs, etc , it will just copy...