database link problem in oracle 8

Post by Janssen gilber » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

It is the 'COM-SERVER' that must creates the databaselink to c-318.  So
verify that 'COM-SERVER' has a tnsnames entry to open a connection to c-318.
(logon localy on COM-SERVER and try to connect to c-318, if that works the
database link will probably work)

Quote:>Hi,
>Here i have a problem with DATABASE LINK

1. Problem connecting to Oracle database using linked server

I am trying to connect to an Oracle remote server, but am having problems
establishing the connection.

I tried it thru the wizard as well as ran the sp_addlinked server.

This is what I did thru the wizard.

I gave the Oracle Server name as the linked server.
I choose "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle" as the provider name.
I input "Oracle" for the Product Name.
I input the SQL * Net Alias name of this remote database as the Data Source.
I am not sure what I should input in the Provider String. I just gave the
database name.

In Security, I choose the option "Be made using this security context" and gave
the oracle server user name and password.

 I tried to give MSDAORA as the provider name thru the Enterprise Manager. But it
does not let me type anything, but choose something from the drop down. So I
tried the following in the Query Analyzer

exec sp_addlinkedserver '<servername>', 'Oracle','MSDAORA','<SQL*net alias name>'

It seems to run ok but when I try to open the tables thru enterprise manager I
get the same error
"ERROR 7399; OLA DB Provider "MSDAORA" reported an error."

I have Oracle Client 8.0 installed on the server.

Once I complete this, it looks as if the link has been established but when I
click on tables and views I get the following error.

"ERROR 7399; OLA DB Provider "MSDAORA" reported an error."

2. Senior DB2 DBA positions in Singapore

3. Response Time Problem using Oracle ODBC links to Access Database

4. ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH PROGRESS?

5. Problems creating database link in Oracle 8

6. Jobs Galore!!!

7. Oracle ProC linking problem (The Unsatiefied Problems)

8. Q:Data control

9. Reliable link to Oracle server (linked, server, oracle)

10. database link to non-Oracle database via odbc

11. HOWTO: Create Oracle Database Link to an external ODBC Database

12. Create database link for non-oracle database

13. Oracle 9i and database link to Oracle on Novell Netware