Another Oracle "Feature" when installing 7.3.3.0.2

Another Oracle "Feature" when installing 7.3.3.0.2

Post by Satar Naghshine » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

Hi everyone,
Just got done installing ver 7.3.3.0.2 on Sun OS 2.5.1

After installing, I tried to connect to the Oracle Database via
Enterprise manager when I noticed that every time I started the Listener
process, it kept changing the Port Number. I set the Port number to
1521, but it kept changing on me. It turns out you have have to comment
out the following lines in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/listener.ora file:
USE_CKPFILE_LISTENER = true
USE_PLUG_AND_PLAY_LISTENER = true

Hope I save others from the frustrations I've recieved... Oh yeah, To
make DBSHUT and DBSTART to work, You have to Substitute all occurences
of sqldba to svrmgrl. 7.3 no longer supports SQLDBA. (how nice of Oracle
to include two scripts that do not run properly)

Satar Naghshineh
Oracle DBA

1. Oracle "feature"?

I'm working on a Oracle database on a Mac and I've just started to add
in record lock for updates (using SELECT.. FOR UPDATE ..) and I seem
to be getting some funny behaviour. The code looks like this :

put "select mark,received from marks_db where" into sqlst
put " pap_number = :cd fld pap_number: and " after sqlst
put " ass_num = :asssnum: and id = :cd fld stud_id: " after sqlst
put " for update of mark, received" after sqlst

execsql sqlst

Now I'm not entirely sure the structure of the select is "correct".
The REAL problem though is that on return from the execsql Oracle is
returning an "openCard" message which causes the openCard script for
the card to be executed, then the rest of the button script. (I
confirmed this by placing answer statements on either side of the execsql)

Is this a fault of mine or is it a fault of Oracle. I have an version
1.0 of Oracle.

Any help would be appreciated.

Massey University        |     +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North         |     +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand              |     Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

2. Invoking stored functions from OCI8 ?

3. max of ("...","...","..")

4. Sizing Tablespaces

5. sp3 install hangs on "installing mdac"

6. accessing tables "dynamically"

7. Automating "orainst" (Oracle Install)

8. Linked RDB only returns 2 rows

9. "Re"installing Oracle 11.5.7 on Win NT

10. Error "optional features not implemented"

11. Missing "Writeback" features at Analysis Service

12. "as %" feature

13. error "optional features not implemented"