Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Guenter Wecker » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:53:51

Hi,
what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??

I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.
Many Thanks

Guenter Weckert

Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Norman Dunba » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 22:58:12

Guenter,

Oracle's listener uses 1521 and/or 1526 by default (check out
tnsnames.ora for which one) as the initial port, but then, once a
connection has been made, the listener hands off the connection to
another port.
My network Guru tells me that Firewalls hate oracle. :o(

There is a utility you can use, called Connection Manager (I think - we
don't need it here, so I'm not clued up on the name) which allows Oracle
converstations to pass through a firewall.
I'm not sure if it is usable with Oracle 7 though (which is no longer
supported).

HTH

Regards,
Norman.

-------------------------------------
Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.

Tel: 0113 289 6265
Fax: 0113 289 3146

Posted At: Tuesday, July 09, 2002 2:54 PM
Posted To: server
Conversation: Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port
Subject: Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Hi,
what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??

I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.
Many Thanks

Guenter Weckert

Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Chuc » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 00:07:54

Quote:> Hi,
> what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
> think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??

> I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.
> Many Thanks

> Guenter Weckert

If you use Oracle Names to resolve database service names, that uses port
1575 in addition to what Norman mentioned.

Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 02:14:32

On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 14:53:51 +0100, "Guenter Weckert"

>Hi,
>what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
>think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??

>I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.
>Many Thanks

>Guenter Weckert

sqlnet uses port redirection. You'll get back a random port.
Using Oracle 7 there are 2 possible solutions
- get firewall software with a socalled sqlnet proxy install on it
- configure MTS. This will use a fixed port always.

In Oracle 8 this problem has been solved by use_shared_sockets or
connection manager.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Guenter Wecker » Thu, 11 Jul 2002 16:14:11

Quote:> >what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
> >think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??
> >I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.
> sqlnet uses port redirection. You'll get back a random port.
> Using Oracle 7 there are 2 possible solutions
> - get firewall software with a socalled sqlnet proxy install on it
> - configure MTS. This will use a fixed port always.

What ist MTS?? Can you help me?

Quote:> In Oracle 8 this problem has been solved by use_shared_sockets or
> connection manager.
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Oracle 7 - TCP-IP-Port

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Fri, 12 Jul 2002 02:50:01

On Wed, 10 Jul 2002 08:14:11 +0100, "Guenter Weckert"

>> >what TCP-IP-Port use Oracle 7 to connect the Clients with the Server. I
>> >think about the ports 1521 and 1526. Are there other ports requiered??
>> >I have to create a connection throuh a firewall.

>> sqlnet uses port redirection. You'll get back a random port.
>> Using Oracle 7 there are 2 possible solutions
>> - get firewall software with a socalled sqlnet proxy install on it
>> - configure MTS. This will use a fixed port always.
>What ist MTS?? Can you help me?

>> In Oracle 8 this problem has been solved by use_shared_sockets or
>> connection manager.
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Multithreaded server.
In Oracle 7 it's being configured by setting up
mts_servers
mts_dispatchers
mts_listener_address
It is documented in the sqlnet v2 manual and in the Oracle
administrators manual.
The PGA will now be in the shared pool, you do need to increase your
shared pool at the same time.
If  you really need to I can retrieve mts settings from a system my
company is using to track customer related incidents. You need to be
quick, as that system is going to start a second life and the app will
be migrated to 8i and go to a different server.