database links problem

Post by Galaxy Admi » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have created a database link by the following statement:

sql> create database link galaxy connect to galaxyadm identified by
galaxyadm using 'galaxy';

Assuming all is well and I have the tnsnames.ora entry and user/password
is correct.

When I try to do the following query:

ERROR:
ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
ORA-02063: preceding line from GALAXY

this error comes up, I do not know what is going on?

I can only think of a few possibilities:
- listener.ora file is incorrect
- tnsnames.ora file entry is incorrect
- db_domain init parameter is set wrong
- global_names init parameter is set wrong

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

--

database links problem

Post by Thomas Ky » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

(if that email address didn't require changing)

>I have created a database link by the following statement:

>sql> create database link galaxy connect to galaxyadm identified by
>galaxyadm using 'galaxy';

>Assuming all is well and I have the tnsnames.ora entry and user/password
>is correct.

>When I try to do the following query:

>ERROR:
>ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
>ORA-02063: preceding line from GALAXY

>this error comes up, I do not know what is going on?

>I can only think of a few possibilities:
>- listener.ora file is incorrect
>- tnsnames.ora file entry is incorrect
>- db_domain init parameter is set wrong
>- global_names init parameter is set wrong

>Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Is it possible you have set the NLS_DATE_FORMAT in your init.ora file?

If so:

Set any NLS parameter to use double quote marks in the initSID.ora file.

       Example: NLS_DATE_FORMAT = "DD/MON/YYYY"

The environment is then read as the literal between the double quotes.

When environment variables are sent across the link, NLS_DATE_FORMAT is sent
as ''''NLS_DATE_FORMAT = DD/MON/YYYY'''' due to using single quote marks in
the initSID.ora file.

restart after doing that.

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st

Oracle Service Industries     Reston, VA   USA

database links problem

Post by Lothar Armbrüste » Tue, 07 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Galaxy Admin wrote at 17-Aug-99  20:15:14
on the subject database links problem:

Quote:>I have created a database link by the following statement:

sql>> create database link galaxy connect to galaxyadm identified by

Quote:>galaxyadm using 'galaxy';
>Assuming all is well and I have the tnsnames.ora entry and
>user/password is correct.
>When I try to do the following query:

Quote:>ERROR:
>ORA-02248: invalid option for ALTER SESSION
>ORA-02063: preceding line from GALAXY
>this error comes up, I do not know what is going on?
>I can only think of a few possibilities:
>- listener.ora file is incorrect
>- tnsnames.ora file entry is incorrect
>- db_domain init parameter is set wrong
>- global_names init parameter is set wrong

Hello Peter,
I observed similar strange error messages when using database links.
These messages are quite confusing, because they often have nothing to do
with the real error.
Try

The above error seems to be a result of Oracle's strange parsing habit
when using database links.

Quote:>Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Hope that helps,
Lothar

--
Neue Adresse ab 10.07.'99:

D-65346 Eltville        |

1. Database link problem

but not the same as Pierre HIRTH's last post.
First excuse me for my bad English language
Always two data bases :
The first one on Oracle 8.0.5 SID = ORCL and hosted by
machine1.my_domain
The second one on Oracle 8.1.7 service name = trieves hosted by
machine2.my_domain

SQL> create database link orcl connect to user1 identified by pass1
  2  using 'orcl';

Lien de base de donnes cr. (Database link created)

                          *
ERREUR la ligne 1 : (Error at line 1 :)
ORA-02085: lien de base de donnes ORCL.US.ORACLE.COM se connecte
ORCL.WORLD
           (database link ORCL.US.ORACLE.COM is connecting to
ORCL.WORLD)

Whereas in the same SQLplus windows

Connect. (connected)
SQL> select * from departement where num_dpt=4;

   NUM_DPT NOM_DPT
---------- ----------------------------------------
         4 Hautes Alpes

Same problem, if the database link is created public
The DB_DOMAIN parameter is set to my_domain.
world is the value of NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE in sqlnet.ora file

Could someone tell me why the database link tries a connection to
US.ORACLE.COM when this string is not in the Oracle parameters and it is
possible to connect to orcl ? (Obviously Tnsnames.ora seems right)

Thanks in advance.

R. Burnet.

2. PicLan Request

3. database link problem

4. Tracking Changes to Records

5. Database Link Problem

6. spotlight on sql server

7. database link problem

8. ObjectDRIVER 1.1.124 new release

9. database link problem from unix to nt (ORA-03113)

10. database link problem, version 7.3.3

11. Database link problem based on size of data.

12. database link problem in oracle 8