forms memory requirement/problem

Post by Ta Xion » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:29:14

hi ppl,
does anyone know what's the exact memory requirement for forms builder and
forms runtine?  it seems to be extremely resource hungry and gobbles up
whatever memory you have.

i've noticed that some of my complex/huge forms will not run at all if
resouce is low.  sometimes it runs but some of the items on the
screen/canvas does not show.  if it's just a item label/graphics, that's not
too bad.  but sometimes the actual field values queried from the table does
not appear.  and when user commits this form, table gets updated with null
values!!!

initially i have 128mb installed.  when i open a form in forms builder,
system resource (according to windows system property|performance info) is
down to, say 35%.  then i upgrade to a total of 256mb ram.  i open up same
form (with same applications opened in other windows/sessions), it still
says abt 35% ??!!!

anyone who has any idea wats going on?

thanks.

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by TurkBea » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 01:58:27

Added ram will NOT increase some resources available on a Windows system...the
user and graphic resources are fixed by the OS...

Forms are resource hungry.....close everything else before attempting complex
forms building..

>hi ppl,
>does anyone know what's the exact memory requirement for forms builder and
>forms runtine?  it seems to be extremely resource hungry and gobbles up
>whatever memory you have.

>i've noticed that some of my complex/huge forms will not run at all if
>resouce is low.  sometimes it runs but some of the items on the
>screen/canvas does not show.  if it's just a item label/graphics, that's not
>too bad.  but sometimes the actual field values queried from the table does
>not appear.  and when user commits this form, table gets updated with null
>values!!!

>initially i have 128mb installed.  when i open a form in forms builder,
>system resource (according to windows system property|performance info) is
>down to, say 35%.  then i upgrade to a total of 256mb ram.  i open up same
>form (with same applications opened in other windows/sessions), it still
>says abt 35% ??!!!

>anyone who has any idea wats going on?

>thanks.

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by Jér?me PERRE » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:01:10

I don't think that the "windows system property|performance info" is very
reliable.
I recommend you using system monitor (start menu then execute then type
"sysmon"). Then from the menu Edit you can add the graph of the memory that
is more much reliable.

Jr?me

Quote:> hi ppl,
> does anyone know what's the exact memory requirement for forms builder and
> forms runtine?  it seems to be extremely resource hungry and gobbles up
> whatever memory you have.

> i've noticed that some of my complex/huge forms will not run at all if
> resouce is low.  sometimes it runs but some of the items on the
> screen/canvas does not show.  if it's just a item label/graphics, that's
not
> too bad.  but sometimes the actual field values queried from the table
does
> not appear.  and when user commits this form, table gets updated with null
> values!!!

> initially i have 128mb installed.  when i open a form in forms builder,
> system resource (according to windows system property|performance info) is
> down to, say 35%.  then i upgrade to a total of 256mb ram.  i open up same
> form (with same applications opened in other windows/sessions), it still
> says abt 35% ??!!!

> anyone who has any idea wats going on?

> thanks.

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by Ryan Planinshe » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:09:13

Use Windows NT instead of windows 95. I found that win95 uses a percentage
of memory instead of what the actual form needs. For example I have a .FMX
file that is about 976kb and each instance of it that is open in a win95
environment uses about 10% of a pc's memory (25megs). In WinNT it uses about
1.5 megs.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

> I don't think that the "windows system property|performance info" is very
> reliable.
> I recommend you using system monitor (start menu then execute then type
> "sysmon"). Then from the menu Edit you can add the graph of the memory
that
> is more much reliable.

> Jr?me

> > hi ppl,
> > does anyone know what's the exact memory requirement for forms builder
and
> > forms runtine?  it seems to be extremely resource hungry and gobbles up
> > whatever memory you have.

> > i've noticed that some of my complex/huge forms will not run at all if
> > resouce is low.  sometimes it runs but some of the items on the
> > screen/canvas does not show.  if it's just a item label/graphics, that's
> not
> > too bad.  but sometimes the actual field values queried from the table
> does
> > not appear.  and when user commits this form, table gets updated with
null
> > values!!!

> > initially i have 128mb installed.  when i open a form in forms builder,
> > system resource (according to windows system property|performance info)
is
> > down to, say 35%.  then i upgrade to a total of 256mb ram.  i open up
same
> > form (with same applications opened in other windows/sessions), it still
> > says abt 35% ??!!!

> > anyone who has any idea wats going on?

> > thanks.

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by Ta Xion » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 02:38:27

hi ppl,
thanks for the input.  my problem is not with the amt/percentage forms uses.
and i just use windows sys info for a rough indication.  the real problem
i'm facing is that it takes up lots of resources and i cannot open too many
applications.  i also submitted a tar to oracle, they've some documented bug
on this and suggests i use some utility to control resources being used.
when i have time, i'll try it out......

rgds.

> [...]

> > > resouce is low.  sometimes it runs but some of the items on the
> > > screen/canvas does not show.  if it's just a item label/graphics,
that's
> > not
> > > too bad.  but sometimes the actual field values queried from the table
> > does
> > > not appear.  and when user commits this form, table gets updated with
> null
> > > values!!!

> > > initially i have 128mb installed.  when i open a form in forms
builder,
> > > system resource (according to windows system property|performance
info)
> is
> > > down to, say 35%.  then i upgrade to a total of 256mb ram.  i open up
> same
> > > form (with same applications opened in other windows/sessions), it

Post by Ta Xion » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 02:44:27

hello,
are you using win95?  at my previous work place, we run oracle applications
on win95 client and like you said, i can open lots of windows.
however my current office uses win98 and most of us has this problem.  but
our hong kong office uses win95 and they say oracle applications works
better and more reliable on win95.  that's y they did not upgrade to win98
client.
fyi, oracle just replied me saying there's some bug here.  they recommended
a utility to control the usage of windows resources.  i'll give it a try
when i can find some free time.  but wat worries me most is that the utility
is fr a third party and mmost probably not supported by oracle ;-((

rgds.
ps.  i also have quite a few forms 1-2mb in size

> >hi ppl,
> >does anyone know what's the exact memory requirement for forms builder
and
> >forms runtine?  it seems to be extremely resource hungry and gobbles up
> >whatever memory you have.

> We run forms 6, sometimes calling Reports, and sometimes even with a
> web browser lurking in the background for some other purpose. On a few
> boxes we still only have 32 MB RAM and 166MHz Pentium. We have none of
> your symptoms, only very, very slow responses.
> Some of our .fmx files are between 1-2 MB.
> The page file is around 10-150 MB.

> I guess your problems must have another explanation.
> Yours Hans Erik Busk

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by I hate Spa » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 23:05:19

Quote:>hello,
>are you using win95?  at my previous work place, we run oracle applications
>on win95 client and like you said, i can open lots of windows.

Sorry forgot to mention the OS.
We are using Windows NT 4.0 SP 5 on those machines. I am sure an
upgrade to W2000 will be madness, NT4 work with no problems except
speed of course.
Yours Hans Erik Busk

forms memory requirement/problem

Post by Ta Xion » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 02:49:11

hi,
thanks for the info.  we only use win98 clients.  server is on nt.  seems
like i have to live with it cos even oracle can't provide the
answer/solution ;-(