Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Nuno Sout » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> snip
> on HP-UX 10.20 ? When trying to go bigger than 2 G we get a Message
> refering to using osh. (Which of course is not available in 7.3). It
> snip

Have you checked your ulimit file size in UNIX? To do so, type:

ulimit -a<cr>

at a shell prompt and read out what is the max file size allowed by
ulimit. Jack this up if not sufficient.  You can also be hiting the
limit of file size in UNIX, which is 2Gb for most 32-bit based
implementations. I'm not aware if HP-UX already has the file system
extensions allowing >2Gb file sizes, if so then the problem is your
ulimit.

Also, if all else fails, define a raw disk file using the LVM and give
it to ORACLE, you'll be able to use any file size you want.

HTH

Cheers
Nuno Souto

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Gaja K. Vaidyanath » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

...stuff deleted...

Quote:> This is not exactly true.  HP-UX 10.20 supports > 2GB files and > 2GB
> filesystems even though it is only a 32-bit OS.  Applications need to
> be modified to take advantage of the > 2GB file feature.  There is no
> reason Oracle could not do this, you just have to ask them if they have.

> --Chris

Chris et. al,
        I don't think I brought across the point that I wanted to in
my previous note.  All I wanted to communicate is that if you run
a 32 bit OS, 2G is all you get just because you have only 2^32 bits
for addressing.  If you run a 32/64 bit OS or a pure 64 bit OS, then
the potential addressability is 2^64.  I am fully aware of OSs(HP-UX
included) do support 4G if not 8G files in a filesystem today, but it
depends on the version of the OS and the vendor.  Nothing against HP-UX
10.20.  Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

Regards,

--
Gaja K. Vaidyanatha                     |       222 West Las Colinas Blvd.,
Principal Instructor, Core Technologies |       Suite 1000, Irving, TX 75039.

Disclaimer : Opinions and views expressed are not that of Oracle Corp.

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Todd Graham Lewi » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> All I wanted to communicate is that if you run a 32 bit OS, 2G is all
> you get just because you have only 2^32 bits for addressing.

Simply untrue.  Sure, if you naively use int for your file offsets when
seeking, then you're limited.  There's no reason off_t has to be the
machine's native integer size; off_t can easily be a 64-bit (or 128-bit)
quantity on a 32-bit machine.  Now you can't _mmap_ the file, but that's
another matter.

This is like saying we can't use IPv6 until the advent of 128-bit cpus.

--
Todd Graham Lewis       Manager of Web Engineering    MindSpring Enterprises

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Dennis Hand » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

:       The problem is not with 7.3.  The 2G limitation for a datafile
: is posed by the OS that you work with (in this case with HP-UX 10.20).
: If you work with a 32 bit OS (which I believe you are), the maximum
: amount of addressability that the OS can offer is 2G.  So the datafile
: limitation comes from there.

Not quite, but it may turn out to be the same thing.
10.20 does support large files but it means that Oracle must be compiled
special to take advantage of it.

I.e. some combinations of -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE, -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64,
-D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Chris Calabrese (BFR Consulta » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

: I am fully aware of OSs(HP-UX included) do support 4G if not 8G
: files in a filesystem today, but it depends on the version of the
: OS and the vendor.  Nothing against HP-UX
: 10.20.  Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

BTW, HP-UX 10.20 supports files/filesystems much bigger than even 4GB
or 8GB.  If I remember correctly, the biggest single _file_ anyone's
created in our lab is 128GB.  I believe the limiting factor on this
is not the OS, or even getting that many physical disks hooked up, but
the amount of time it takes to run a full suite of tests against a
file that large :-)

--
Christopher J. Calabrese
Lab System Architect (Consultant)

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by l.. » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> > snip
> > on HP-UX 10.20 ? When trying to go bigger than 2 G we get a Message
> > refering to using osh. (Which of course is not available in 7.3). It
> > snip

Thanks everybody for the answers. It seems that we have to recompile
the application software, in this case Oracle. Some other tricks to be
done as well such as creating/mounting file systems to allow them to
use large filesystems.

' Quoted from HP-UX 10.20 release notes and large
file system white paper'. (see the next paragraph)

Large files over 2GB require the use of new system functions that
use 64 bit file offsets.  Look in "/usr/share/doc/10.20RelNotes" at
the "Large Files" section to see a short 300 line discussion.  See
/usr/share/doc/lg_files.txt for the full 2500 line white paper.

There are two ways to support large files:

 1. There is a new set of 64-bit interfaces and data types (similar
to 32-bit interfaces).

2. There is a new compile environment that is requested with a new flag
in which existing interfaces and data types use 64-bit values to
support large files.  If an application does not have to interact
with large files, there are no required changes.  However, the
application developer needs to take specific actions to enable
large files.

Cheers
Lou

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Les Potte » Fri, 06 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> in which existing interfaces and data types use 64-bit values to
> support large files.  If an application does not have to interact
> with large files, there are no required changes.  However, the
> application developer needs to take specific actions to enable
> large files.

Lou,

Keep in mind that the file system needs to be created with support for
large files (man newfs hsf). The default is to create a file system that
maintains the 2Gb limit.

As for the question that was raised as to why you need a larger file
size, we ran into this in doing logical backups of the database.  Oracle
has a work around that is kind of clugie.  Thanks, Lou for the info
about the recompile.  Even with a file system that supports large files,
Oracle 7.3, as shipped doesn't.

Les

  ### Those who dance are thought to be mad by  ###
 ###            those who hear not the music   ###

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Chuck Hamilt » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>about the recompile.  Even with a file system that supports large files,
>Oracle 7.3, as shipped doesn't.

Is this a generic Oracle 7.3 problem or just on HPUX? I know for
example that Netware supports > 2g files and Oracle 7.3 seems to run
happily on it. I've nevery tried to do a full export though.
--
Chuck Hamilton

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Bruce Laughli » Sat, 07 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi all

> Quick question: Maximum filesize that can be created in Oracle 7.3 running
> on HP-UX 10.20 ? When trying to go bigger than 2 G we get a Message
> refering to using osh. (Which of course is not available in 7.3). It is
> possible to create a native file > 2G via the OS. Any ideas?

> Cheers
> Lou

Lou,
I wish I had my manpages in front of me now, and I know nothing about
Oracle, but....  If I'm not mistaken, you need to use the fsadm command
at 10.20 to enable large files. Seems to me that the option is something
like largefiles or nolargefiles. Check the manpage for fsadm. I'm pretty
sure that regardless of whether or not Oracle is able to take advantage
of large files, you won't be able to access the large file, or create
it, unless you have used fsadm to enable this feature on the filesystem.

Bruce Laughlin
Hewlett-Packard Response Center

Files > 2Gb on HP-UX 10.20

Post by Chuck Hamilt » Tue, 10 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>    I don't think I brought across the point that I wanted to in
>my previous note.  All I wanted to communicate is that if you run
>a 32 bit OS, 2G is all you get just because you have only 2^32 bits
>for addressing.  If you run a 32/64 bit OS or a pure 64 bit OS, then
>the potential addressability is 2^64.  I am fully aware of OSs(HP-UX
>included) do support 4G if not 8G files in a filesystem today, but it
>depends on the version of the OS and the vendor.  Nothing against HP-UX
>10.20.  Sorry for any confusion this might have caused.

I thought that a 32-bit OS meant that it used 32 bit instructions. If
this limitation is also imposed on file systems supported by the OS,
why then can Netware 3.12, a 32 bit OS unless I'm mistaken, handle >
2g files.
--
Chuck Hamilton

This message delivered by electronic sled dogs. WOOF!

1. Big Files (>2Gb) SE5 0n HP-UX 10.20

Is is possible to handle files greater than 2Gb on HP-UX using Informix
SE?  If so which version of SE does this?

We are using HP-UX 10.20, with a 20Gb logical volume, and largefile
system support enabled.

Thanks for any help in advance.

John Sokol

2. ORACLE DBA FAQ

3. HP UX 10.20 -> HP UX 11

4. DOS Paradox 4.0

5. IDS 7.31UC4 from HP-UX 10.20 to HP-UX 11

6. How do you use hint in the select statement?

7. HP-UX 10.20 file size limit

8. Merge replication - OS error 5

9. OI 2.0 HP-UX 10.20 and vxfs file systems

10. Upgrading HP/UX....Sybase compatibility?..HPUX 10.20 experiences?

11. > 2GB files on Oracle & R/3 w/HP-UX 10.20

12. Anyone hit the HP-UX 2GB file limit?

13. Why LD_LIBRARY_PATH not effects in HP-UX 10.20?