processes not dying show killed forever

Post by Bertalan GOMBO » Wed, 23 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi !

> I have a developer that keeps crashing his system and reconnecting to
> my Oracle server.

> He has six connections showing as inactive.  I killed one of his
> processes hours ago, but it still shows up( as killed).

> I know how to treat the symptom, but not the cause.

Well, I don't know the exact reason for this phenomena but I think the
rollback cause this. I encountered this, my experience is the following:
the killed session made some changes so their transaction had to be
rollbacked. During this rollback the killed process was waiting for the
DBWR system process. I don't know whether the rollback had been under
process or there had been a hang.

--
                                           :
 ----.----,  ------------------------------:----------------------------

`----'  ---------------------------------  `------------------------ '98

processes not dying show killed forever

Post by Jpmak » Thu, 01 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've experienced exactly the same thing in 8.04 and NT4.0.  I've found I have
to orakill the thread.  The problem is that after the rollback is complete, the
thread does not terminate.  pmon is suppose to clean this up but doesn't.

1. Killed process not dying

On our production 7.3.3.6 database (yes, we're planning to upgrade soon).
I've got a process that won't die.  It's marked as KILLED and has been for
several hours.  It just refuses to go away.  It's a minor headache as its
holding an exclusive row lock that is blocking a couple other jobs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the process finally die or at least give
up its lock?

Thanks,
Mike Moore

2. Jdbc type-III problem