help connecting to database

Post by Peter Cho » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:17:03

i was able to install Oracle 8i on a freebsd machine.  at least i think
it installed correctly.

but when i tried to use sqlplus to try to connect using scott/tiger i
get an error saying ORACLE is not available.

how do i make it available?  or what id can i use?  i run it as oracle
user, the same user that i installed oracle with.

peter choe

help connecting to database

Post by EB » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:31:47

You should be able to login as system/manager or sys/change_on_install.

1)  Check to make sure your TNS listener is running:
ps -ef |grep tns

2) If it's not running, try to start it
login as oracle
lsnrctl start

3) If it still does not start, check your tnsnames.ora file, which should be
located in
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

Quote:> i was able to install Oracle 8i on a freebsd machine.  at least i think
> it installed correctly.

> but when i tried to use sqlplus to try to connect using scott/tiger i
> get an error saying ORACLE is not available.

> how do i make it available?  or what id can i use?  i run it as oracle
> user, the same user that i installed oracle with.

> peter choe

help connecting to database

Post by Ruudbo » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 07:29:45

Oracle not available means the database is down. You should start the
database using svrmgrl. If you started svrmgrl from the prompt, type
'connect internal' followed by 'startup'.

With regards,

Ruud

--
Ruud Schilders
-----------------

ICQ : 397543

Ruud Schilders

1. Help Connecting to database

I am having a problem connecting to my database.  (Access 97 via VB5)

My intent is to have the user add data via text boxes to a database (sounds
simple).

I have databound text boxes on my form and a data control.  When I run my
program I keep getting an error:

Object variable or With block variable not set

I have done this before with no problems.  What are some things that I
should be looking for?

Any help and/or a point in the right direction will be appreciated.

TIA
--
Mark Smith
Air Gage Co.

2. Data File and Log File

3. Help: connect to master database not our database

4. How to handle empty database?

5. CAN'T CONNECT TO DATABASE SQL 6.5 PLEASE HELP

6. Default constraints

7. urgent help needed: connect database to sql server

8. HELP! Adding a numeric field with decimals

9. help needed on how to connect to ONYX, PORTAL and LAWSON databases

10. help: error connecting between two 6.0 databases

11. Help! machine connected to SQL database

12. HELP - ISAPI app unable to connect to database

13. HELP: Connecting SQL to ADABASE C Database