Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Post by Ro » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:40:59

I have 2 IBM P680 servers, clustered. Is it possible to have 1 RAC/OPS
instance
and 1 non-RAC/non-OPS instance on each server, running at the same
time,
assuming I have sufficient CPU & memory resources, and separate the
I/O
correctly? Are there any limitations in 8i / 9i / OPS / RAC that would
prevent
this?
I would like to have Server A (instance A) and Server B (instance A)
in a RAC
or OPS configuration, and Server A (instance B) and Server B (instance
B) in a
non-RAC / non-OPS configuration, but running SharePlex / Replication.
Is this possible, and if so, is it supported by Oracle?

Thanks.
Roy Speaker

Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Post by Pete Sharma » Sat, 27 Apr 2002 23:37:12

says...

>I have 2 IBM P680 servers, clustered. Is it possible to have 1 RAC/OPS
>instance
>and 1 non-RAC/non-OPS instance on each server, running at the same
>time,
>assuming I have sufficient CPU & memory resources, and separate the
>I/O
>correctly? Are there any limitations in 8i / 9i / OPS / RAC that would
>prevent
>this?
>I would like to have Server A (instance A) and Server B (instance A)
>in a RAC
>or OPS configuration, and Server A (instance B) and Server B (instance
>B) in a
>non-RAC / non-OPS configuration, but running SharePlex / Replication.
>Is this possible, and if so, is it supported by Oracle?

>Thanks.
>Roy Speaker

Well you have a couple of different combinations here.  Let me outline each one
that is supported:

1.  both OPS and non-OPS
2.  both  RAC and non-RAC
3.  OPS and non-RAC
4.  non-OPS and RAC

Proviso for all of these is that OPS/RAC is supported on the cluster you're
talking about.  Only concern would be the resources of the machines are
sufficient.

Now add replication into the picture.  Replication from Oracle is supported in
all 4 cases.  I'm assuming here you're going to replication to another machine
that is not in the cluster - don't laugh at me making this explicit.  I had one
client that has set up replication from one node of the cluster to another node
becasue they hadn't heard of OPS (this was in the 7.3 days).  You may want to
ensure the replication is done from the correct node to minimize pinging.

Two final points.  I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that Oracle does NOT
support Shareplex because it uses log mining without using Oracle's LogMiner.
Second one - if you have the choice, don't even bother with OPS.  RAC is a lot
easier to get scalability out of.  It's possible to make OPS scale, but in some
cases it can be quite difficult.

HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Post by Sean » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 00:25:18

> I have 2 IBM P680 servers, clustered. Is it possible to have 1 RAC/OPS
> instance and 1 non-RAC/non-OPS instance on each server, running at the
> same time, assuming I have sufficient CPU & memory resources, and separate
> the I/O correctly?

I've never done it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.  Certainly
with separate Oracle Homes you should be fine, and it'd probably even be
ok using the same code tree.  As for the Shareplex/Replication aspect, I
have no idea - what are you trying to accomplish?

Regards,
Sean

Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Post by Ro » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 08:30:13

Pete,

thanks for the information.  The Shareplex / Replication is planned
from the non-RAC instance on server A to the non-RAC instance on
server B.

Basically, we have 2 similar applications that perform similar
functions, but we don't currently have the time or resources to
combine them into one. One app uses OPS/RAC and the other doesn't, but
we feel they are similar enough and small enough that we can co-exist
them on the same server, barring any technical limitations.  The
RAC-based application has built-in failover, the non-RAC doesn't,
hence the need for Shareplex / Replication.

Thanks.
Roy

> says...

> >I have 2 IBM P680 servers, clustered. Is it possible to have 1 RAC/OPS
> >instance
> >and 1 non-RAC/non-OPS instance on each server, running at the same
> >time,
> >assuming I have sufficient CPU & memory resources, and separate the
> >I/O
> >correctly? Are there any limitations in 8i / 9i / OPS / RAC that would
> >prevent
> >this?
> >I would like to have Server A (instance A) and Server B (instance A)
> >in a RAC
> >or OPS configuration, and Server A (instance B) and Server B (instance
> >B) in a
> >non-RAC / non-OPS configuration, but running SharePlex / Replication.
> >Is this possible, and if so, is it supported by Oracle?

> >Thanks.
> >Roy Speaker

> Well you have a couple of different combinations here.  Let me outline each one
> that is supported:

> 1.  both OPS and non-OPS
> 2.  both  RAC and non-RAC
> 3.  OPS and non-RAC
> 4.  non-OPS and RAC

> Proviso for all of these is that OPS/RAC is supported on the cluster you're
> talking about.  Only concern would be the resources of the machines are
> sufficient.

> Now add replication into the picture.  Replication from Oracle is supported in
> all 4 cases.  I'm assuming here you're going to replication to another machine
> that is not in the cluster - don't laugh at me making this explicit.  I had one
> client that has set up replication from one node of the cluster to another node
> becasue they hadn't heard of OPS (this was in the 7.3 days).  You may want to
> ensure the replication is done from the correct node to minimize pinging.

> Two final points.  I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that Oracle does NOT
> support Shareplex because it uses log mining without using Oracle's LogMiner.
> Second one - if you have the choice, don't even bother with OPS.  RAC is a lot
> easier to get scalability out of.  It's possible to make OPS scale, but in some
> cases it can be quite difficult.

> HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

> Pete

> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Post by Pete Sharma » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:16:20

says...

Quote:

>Pete,

>thanks for the information.  The Shareplex / Replication is planned
>from the non-RAC instance on server A to the non-RAC instance on
>server B.

>Basically, we have 2 similar applications that perform similar
>functions, but we don't currently have the time or resources to
>combine them into one. One app uses OPS/RAC and the other doesn't, but
>we feel they are similar enough and small enough that we can co-exist
>them on the same server, barring any technical limitations.  The
>RAC-based application has built-in failover, the non-RAC doesn't,
>hence the need for Shareplex / Replication.

>Thanks.
>Roy

Not a problem.  Only concern I have is if you mean the RAC-based application has
built in failover because of RAC.  That's only covering part of the failover -
machine failover to be specific.  That doesn't protect you from site failure,
say for example a flood in the computer room.  You'd still need to use
replication or Data Guard to have complete protection.

>> says...

>> >I have 2 IBM P680 servers, clustered. Is it possible to have 1 RAC/OPS
>> >instance
>> >and 1 non-RAC/non-OPS instance on each server, running at the same
>> >time,
>> >assuming I have sufficient CPU & memory resources, and separate the
>> >I/O
>> >correctly? Are there any limitations in 8i / 9i / OPS / RAC that would
>> >prevent
>> >this?
>> >I would like to have Server A (instance A) and Server B (instance A)
>> >in a RAC
>> >or OPS configuration, and Server A (instance B) and Server B (instance
>> >B) in a
>> >non-RAC / non-OPS configuration, but running SharePlex / Replication.
>> >Is this possible, and if so, is it supported by Oracle?

>> >Thanks.
>> >Roy Speaker

>>Well you have a couple of different combinations here.  Let me outline each one
>> that is supported:

>> 1.  both OPS and non-OPS
>> 2.  both  RAC and non-RAC
>> 3.  OPS and non-RAC
>> 4.  non-OPS and RAC

>> Proviso for all of these is that OPS/RAC is supported on the cluster you're
>> talking about.  Only concern would be the resources of the machines are
>> sufficient.

>>Now add replication into the picture.  Replication from Oracle is supported in
>>all 4 cases.  I'm assuming here you're going to replication to another machine
>>that is not in the cluster - don't laugh at me making this explicit.  I had one
>>client that has set up replication from one node of the cluster to another node
>> becasue they hadn't heard of OPS (this was in the 7.3 days).  You may want to
>> ensure the replication is done from the correct node to minimize pinging.

>> Two final points.  I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that Oracle does NOT
>>support Shareplex because it uses log mining without using Oracle's LogMiner.
>>Second one - if you have the choice, don't even bother with OPS.  RAC is a lot
>>easier to get scalability out of.  It's possible to make OPS scale, but in some
>> cases it can be quite difficult.

>> HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

>> Pete

>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

Can I Have a 9i RAC and a 9i non-RAC Instance on Same Machine?

Post by Pete Sharma » Sun, 28 Apr 2002 09:16:22

says...

Quote:

> [...]

>>client that has set up replication from one node of the cluster to another node
>> becasue they hadn't heard of OPS (this was in the 7.3 days).  You may want to
>> ensure the replication is done from the correct node to minimize pinging.

>> Two final points.  I believe (though I'm not 100% sure) that Oracle does NOT
>>support Shareplex because it uses log mining without using Oracle's LogMiner.
>>Second one - if you have the choice, don't even bother with OPS.  RAC is a lot
>>easier to get scalability out of.  It's possible to make OPS scale, but in some
>> cases it can be quite difficult.

>> HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

>> Pete

>> SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

HTH.  Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements;

1. US-IL-ORACLE 9I DBA WITH 9I RAC FULL-TIME DIRECT TO OUR CLIENT

JOB ID:1963900

To reply to this job, please click http://www.ORAsearch.com/job.cfm?JOBID=1963900
A dedicated web site for ORACLE jobs and resumes!

Company Name:DHS  and  Associates, Inc.

DHS  and  Associates, Inc.

Hinsdale,IL  USA

CHICAGO AREA CANDIADATES ONLY

Our client is looking for a seasoned ORACLE DBA (6+ years) with 9I with 9I RAC for 24/7 application support group, RAC
provides key benefits to e-business application deployments that our client is currently developing. Our needs a DBA
that is up to date on all of 9I features, they are setting standards for everyone to work from to have a more stable 100

Oracle 9I DBA,Oracle 9I RAC,UNIX

Other desired skills:
Oracle 9I DBA,Oracle 9I RAC,UNIX

2. stored procedure parm problem

3. install Oracle 9i with rac option on nt 2000 (on 2 machine without san)

4. SYSTEM TESTERS

5. REPOST: 9i RAC with AIX/HACMP

6. sp_executesql does not return any error code

7. 9i RAC with AIX/HACMP

8. Using access97 with VB4 (32) is it possible?

9. Is 9i RAC worth pursuing?

10. Swap Space Requirements with 9i RAC?

11. Oracle 9i RAC

12. 9i RAC question

13. Help:9i RAC