Quesion on RDO 2.0 / Oracle Stored Procedures

Quesion on RDO 2.0 / Oracle Stored Procedures

Post by Michael Roger » Sat, 21 Jun 1997 04:00:00

How do you pass array data to an Oracle stored procedure via RDO 2.0?  How
should
the PL/SQL input parameter datatype and code be configured to loop through
the array?

I am in the front end of developing a large (150 entity)  VB5 to Oracle
7.3 on NT application.

The past few weeks I have RDO working well with Oracle for connections,
queries, and single parameter stored procedure calls for updating.

Due to network traffic and amount of database updates per form (using grid
processing) , I'm currently developing code to pass arrays/collections to
an Oracle stored procedure via RDOand return status back of each row
processed to the VB5 application.  Any ideas/examples would help much (even
with other dbms products).  I'm looking for VB5 as well as Oracle pl/sql
ideas/code.

Thanks in advance, Mike.

Post by D.M.[Mike] Matt » Sun, 22 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> How do you pass array data to an Oracle stored procedure via RDO 2.0?  How
> should
> the PL/SQL input parameter datatype and code be configured to loop through
> the array?

> I am in the front end of developing a large (150 entity)  VB5 to Oracle
> 7.3 on NT application.

> The past few weeks I have RDO working well with Oracle for connections,
> queries, and single parameter stored procedure calls for updating.

> Due to network traffic and amount of database updates per form (using grid
> processing) , I'm currently developing code to pass arrays/collections to
> an Oracle stored procedure via RDOand return status back of each row
> processed to the VB5 application.  Any ideas/examples would help much (even
> with other dbms products).  I'm looking for VB5 as well as Oracle pl/sql
> ideas/code.

> Thanks in advance, Mike.

Well Mike,

  I don't know the answer to your exact question but the authors of a the book
Developing Enterprise Applications in VB 4 presented a followup to the book
at the Orlando VBITS last year.  To solve this problem they created an OLE
server running on the server with the database and passed to array of variants
to the OLE server, the server did the database access and passed the results
back to the client.

  Would not this accomplish what you need to get done??  Now this expects
the server to be an Intel NT server and you did not state exactly what your
environment was...

D.M. (Mike) Mattix
Principle
The Mattix Group
P.O. Box 1148
Boutte, LA 70039

1. RDO 2.0 and calling Oracle PL/SQL Stored Procedures

We are having a performance problem with calling Oracle procedures.  After
setting up an RDO 2.0 query with the SQL to call the procdure, if we then
try to set either a parameters value or direction we get around a 10 second
delay.  After this initial delay everything seems to work quickly.  The
procedure is alreay valid and compiled on Oracle when we access it so the
delay should not due to the package or procedure being re-compiled.

Is this a common problem others have experienced or is something setup
wrong on our end?

Thanks,

2. "Cannot Quit Visual FoxPro" Error

3. SQL ODBC/Stored procedure problem when moving from 6.5 to 7.0 or 2000 with RDO 2.0

4. New PrimeAlert modules from Halcyon

5. using RDO 2.0 and VB5: Getting Data from temp tables created in stored procedure

6. block size and RAID 1+0 versus 5

7. Populating a rdo recordset in VB from an Oracle stored procedure

8. Problems with query performance in calculated members

9. ref cursor stored procedure oracle problem rdo

10. Oracle Stored Procedure using RDO

11. VB RDO / Oracle - stored procedures, problem

12. RDO Error while retrieving resultset from ORACLE stored procedure using VB5

13. VB4 - RDO - Oracle Stored Procedures