Vote tally for period FAQ posting

Post by Hans Forbric » Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:01:49

(Apologies for the cross post.)

The response to the call for votes around the periodic FAQ post has been
underwhelming, as can be seen below.  I'm not quite sure how to
interpret the results.   (For the sake of amu*t, 3 were incorrectly
addressed and one could not be verified.)

The responses are, in order:
1. Yes/No to the periodic FAQ post
2. Frequency
3. Mark C. Stock should manage the post - I'm backup
4. Content to be as attached to the CFV
5. Voter's identity

If Mark agrees, we'll start posting to all newsgroups on a monthly
basis.

/Hans
BTW: To all who responded - the ballots have been destroyed along with
all other record of your email address.

com.database.oracle
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Hans Forbrich]

comp.databases.oracle.misc
[YES][BI-WEEKLY][YES][YES][Hanspeter 'Happl' Oberlin]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Guido Konsolke]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Hans Forbrich]

comp.databases.oracle.server
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Paul Drake]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Holger Baer]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Hans Forbrich]

comp.databases.oracle.tools
[YES][BI-WEEKLY][YES][][Ahmed Baraka]
[YES][BI-WEEKLY][YES][YES][Ed Holloman](unverified)
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Hans Forbrich]

comp.databases.oracle.marketplace
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Daniel A. Morgan]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Edward J Prochak]
[YES][MONTHLY][YES][YES][Hans Forbrich]

Comments:

[Paul Drake][more posting of FAQs (and links) should lead
to less comments of RTFM.]

[Ahmed Baraka][Altough I know it takes extensive efforts, it is useful
to catergorize
the posts or at least to provide a search facility. Another useful and
easy
alternative solution is to privde the posts in a downloadable file. Then
the
user can save it and search through it in his own PC. Thnx.]

Vote tally for period FAQ posting

Post by Hans Forbric » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:35:33

I'm still receiving baoolits.  For those who are just now sending in
ballots or comments:

1) Voting is closed;
2) Each NG had a separate (tailored) FAQ, hence separate votes.

(And yes, the FAQ for comp.database.oracle was mainly a reminder that
the NG is officially dead, replaced by comp.database.oracle.misc.)

/Hans

Vote tally for period FAQ posting

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:48:24

Quote:> (Apologies for the cross post.)

> The response to the call for votes around the periodic FAQ post has been
> underwhelming, as can be seen below.  I'm not quite sure how to
> interpret the results.   (For the sake of amu*t, 3 were incorrectly
> addressed and one could not be verified.)

<snip>

I think I'd interpret the level of response as reflecting the level of
interest in doing anything about the issues you raised. In other words
probably don't bother...

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

Post by Hans Forbric » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 02:48:03

> > (Apologies for the cross post.)

> > The response to the call for votes around the periodic FAQ post has been
> > underwhelming, as can be seen below.  I'm not quite sure how to
> > interpret the results.   (For the sake of amu*t, 3 were incorrectly
> > addressed and one could not be verified.)
> <snip>

> I think I'd interpret the level of response as reflecting the level of
> interest in doing anything about the issues you raised. In other words
> probably don't bother...

I didn't raise the issue - I just responded with the proposal.

Let the whining continue?

Vote tally for period FAQ posting

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 05:39:28

Quote:> > I think I'd interpret the level of response as reflecting the level of
> > interest in doing anything about the issues you raised. In other words
> > probably don't bother...

> I didn't raise the issue - I just responded with the proposal.

mea culpa

--

Post by Joel Gar » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:08:35

> > > (Apologies for the cross post.)

> > > The response to the call for votes around the periodic FAQ post has been
> > > underwhelming, as can be seen below.  I'm not quite sure how to
> > > interpret the results.   (For the sake of amu*t, 3 were incorrectly
> > > addressed and one could not be verified.)
> > <snip>

> > I think I'd interpret the level of response as reflecting the level of
> > interest in doing anything about the issues you raised. In other words
> > probably don't bother...

> I didn't raise the issue - I just responded with the proposal.

> Let the whining continue?

Or just let whoever wants to post faqs go ahead and do it.  Add this
discussion of the issues to the faq, and if anyone whines... point
them to the faq!

I seem to recall that most votes for things like usenet group changes
require a minimum response of something like a 100, defaulting to "no"
if the minimum is not reached.  Or maybe that's "null."  :-)

jg

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Paul Dra » Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:23:24

> > > <snip>

> > > I think I'd interpret the level of response as reflecting the level of
> > > interest in doing anything about the issues you raised. In other words
> > > probably don't bother...

> > I didn't raise the issue - I just responded with the proposal.

> > Let the whining continue?

> Or just let whoever wants to post faqs go ahead and do it.  Add this
> discussion of the issues to the faq, and if anyone whines... point
> them to the faq!

> I seem to recall that most votes for things like usenet group changes
> require a minimum response of something like a 100, defaulting to "no"
> if the minimum is not reached.  Or maybe that's "null."  :-)

> jg

ok.

Pd

1. results: *** CFV Call for votes to modify the regular FAQ posting ***

As promised I am publishing the results of the CFV.  The results are:

  Votes    Category
  -----    --------
    3      1 - Leave things the way they are
    6      2 - Post URL's only

I plan on making the change as soon as possible... possibly by next
month's post (Feb '99).  Also, it looks like we'll have another person
maintaining the Sybase FAQ and I am talking to the fellow via e-mail.
Thanks for the votes and sorry that only _9_ people found enough time to
"e-mail" their vote in.  Wow!

I'm including the original ballot information to refresh folks memories.

=====================================

Ballot Information
------------------

Subject: "Sybase FAQ vote"

Votes will be accepted until Midnight Dec 28th,
all votes arriving later than that will be junked.
I may be on vacation that week so I may not be
able to report a tally until the following week.

Ballet
------
Please indicate which you prefer:

1) Leave things the way they are ... that is
   continuing the monthly posts of the FAQ to
   comp.databases.sybase

2) Stop posting the FAQ monthly to
   comp.databases.sybase and in place, post
   monthly a page with URL's -- see appendix A

   Note:  The FAQ will continue to be posted
          monthly to comp.answers and news.answers

3) Other - other ideas

Appendix A
----------
     Sybase Frequently Asked Questions supported by Silicon Graphics

                         hosted on

          http://reality.sgi.com/pablo/Sybase_FAQ

    _Adaptive Server Enterprise FAQ 2000, version 3 released 12/08/98_

    To get a text version of this FAQ:

      ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/Sybase_FAQ/FAQ_txt.Z

    To get the HTML for this FAQ:

      ftp://sgigate.sgi.com/pub/Sybase_FAQ/FAQ_html.tar.Z

    What's New in this Release?

       _Changes in 3 - 12.8.98_
     * Q10.5.12 - Sybase Technical News

       Statistics from the ISUG Technical Journal

Pablo Sanchez              | Ph # (650) 933.3812          Fax # (303) 939.8523

I am accountable for my actions.   http://reality.sgi.com/pablo

2. SQL2000 silent install hangs when called from another install program

3. *** CFV Call for votes to modify the regular FAQ posting ***

4. updating SQL

5. IIUG negative-only voting period opens on Charter ratification

6. Delphi 2.0 BUG ALERT !!!!!

7. how to program for period-to-period comparisons ?

8. Using Recordset with code on unbound form

9. CFV: comp.databases.oracle.marketplace Periodic FAQ Post

10. RFD: Periodic FAQ & Charter post

11. Final CFV: comp.databases.oracle.marketplace Periodic FAQ Post

12. FAQ 3 Monthly Posting

13. implemented new "monthly posting" of FAQ