Specify a rollback segment to use in a remote database

Specify a rollback segment to use in a remote database

Post by Tansel Ozka » Thu, 28 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,

I  have a procedure that updates a table in a remote database.
However, when I run it, I am getting the max rollback segments reached
error message. So, my question is: Is there a way to specify which
rollback segment to use before a distributued update statement similar
to doing it locally as follows:

SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT big_rollback;

Thanks..

Tansel

1. Using a dedicated rollback segment in a remote transaction

Hello,

I have a problem with a distributed transaction. I have a procedure on a
remote database which updates rows in the remote database. For this
transaction I want to use a dedicated rollback segment, but 'set transaction
use rollback segment...' always returns ORA-1453 (SET TRANSACTION must be
the first statement of transaction).

If I commit before calling the remote procedure, I get ORA-0600 [4200],
which is, according to metalink, caused by bug 285843, and is just another
way of saying 'ORA-1453'. It seems that calling the remote procedure itself
already starts the transaction.

Committing in the remote procedure itself returns ORA-02074 (cannot COMMIT
or ROLLBACK in a distributed transaction).
Taking all other rollback segments offline is not an option, because the
remote database is a rather busy production database.

Has anyone any idea on how to use a specific rollback segment on a remote
database ? We are using Oracle 7.3.4, but are planning to upgrade to 8.1.6.

All ideas are welcome,

Marc Billiet

2. Where do I find DBLIB SQL*.h files?

3. Specifying a rollback segment for an Oracle query

4. Stored Procedure

5. How to specify rollback segment?

6. SQL Replication with SQL Server CE (PocketPC) device

7. Among of rollback segments are different than the specified

8. COMPARING PC DATABASE PACKAGES

9. Setting a rollback segment in a remote transaction

10. can I update data without using rollback segment?

11. Using SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT

12. Which rollback segment am I using NOW?