Maximum number of items in select list

Post by Tom Bes » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

What is the maximum number of comma-separated items that can appear in
an SQL select statement (be it expressions, or simple column names) ?

If you have an answer for oracle 7.3.4 and for 8.0, that would be nice.

Thanks for helping.
Tom Best

Maximum number of items in select list

Post by michael_bia.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi.

 Oracle 7.3 - 254.

 Look for DATABASE LIMITS in Admin. Guide.

 HTH. Michael.

Quote:> What is the maximum number of comma-separated items that can appear in
> an SQL select statement (be it expressions, or simple column names) ?

> If you have an answer for oracle 7.3.4 and for 8.0, that would be
nice.

> Thanks for helping.
> Tom Best

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. maximum number of items in a list

I have written an application which finishes by passing
an SQL query to Oracle which looks like:

SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE KEY IN (1,3,17,2023,50111 ...  )

When the number of items in the list exceeds some number
Oracle barfs and complains that the number of items is
greater than 254:

ORA-01795: maximum number of expressions in a list is 254

However, I have successfully retrieved lists of greater
than 900 items -- I suspect that the maximum number may
be more like 1000 (1024?) and that the 254 is legacy from
a previous version.

Does anyone know what the limit is exactly?

I'm running Oracle8.0.3 on Solaris 2.5.1.

TIA,

Steve

2. Calling Stored Proc from another Stored Proc

3. Number of items in a select list

4. Screen builder for D3/AIX 7.1

5. Select nth item in a select list...

6. URGENT!!! Problems connecting

7. ORDER BY items must appear in the select list if SELECT DISTINCT is specified

8. OraWorld News Brief, July 9, 1998

9. Selecting Items from a multi select list box VC++ 6.0 on W2K

10. Selecting items in a DB-list and passing fields from selected rec to a control

11. selecting items in a Data bound list and passing a field content for the selected record

12. Maximum number of items for query with IN operator

13. Maximum number of items for query using the IN operator