Intro to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL

Post by David Ilzhoefe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have a few questions about this course#41010 Intro to Oracle :SQL &
PL/SQL.
I am very interested in taking this course, but have no Oracle
experience.
I also have no programming experience.
I have taken a basic SQL Computer base training. But CBTs only go so
far.
I want to make sure this course will not be over my head and if I take
this class and no other Oracle classes, will I be able to find jobs
woking with SQL or oracle?
I am located in Boston, MA.
Will this intro class be able to teach me the necessary SQL skills to
find work in Oracle or SQL Server? Or would I need to get into a
particular track within Oracle?
Thans
Dave

Intro to Oracle: SQL and PL/SQL

Post by Rich Mycrof » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

My experience with this kind of stuff suggests that just taking these
classes and expecting to get a job is pretty much a waste of time.  A friend
of mine is an OCP and cannot get a job as she has no prior programming/db
work experience.  No matter what the media say in my experience companies
bleat about not having enough people but what they really mean are
experienced, buzz word compliant people willing to work for as little as
possible.  The only real way in is usually to get 4 year degree and start
programming.  I'm sure some others may have worked things out via the 'tech
training' route, but their numbers seem to be quite small.  My 2c.

Rich

Quote:> I have a few questions about this course#41010 Intro to Oracle :SQL &

Post by Vince Lauren » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I have a few questions about this course#41010 Intro to Oracle :SQL &
> PL/SQL.

Good Intro course.

Quote:

> I am very interested in taking this course, but have no Oracle
> experience.
> I also have no programming experience.
> I have taken a basic SQL Computer base training. But CBTs only go so
> far.
> I want to make sure this course will not be over my head and if I take
> this class and no other Oracle classes

We had folks like that in class.  No problem.

Quote:> , will I be able to find jobs
> woking with SQL or oracle?

Dunno.

Quote:

> I am located in Boston, MA.

Nice city.  I'll be there soon for some SAP/Oracle training myself...

Quote:

> Will this intro class be able to teach me the necessary SQL skills to
> find work in Oracle or SQL Server? Or would I need to get into a
> particular track within Oracle?

Get more hands on.

HTH
Vince

1. Intro to Oracle (PL/SQL) Training

I'm looking to take an Intro to Oracle (PL/SQL) class and have found
two companies offering one:  Oracle and New Horizons

Wondering if there are others, and comments from anyone who has taken
either of these classes or other classes by either of these companies.

Thanks!

2. Connecting to the SQL server remotely

3. OCP Test - Intro to SQL and PL/SQL

4. Access Queries to SQL Server Views

5. SQL-92, Migrate PL/SQL at ORACLE into PL/SQL at SQL Server 7.0

6. Sorry!

7. NH-Concord-105856--ORACLE-API-PL/SQL-Oracle PL/SQL Programmer Analyst

8. NH-Concord-105856--ORACLE-API-PL/SQL-Oracle PL/SQL P/A

9. 23467-NC-RALEIGH/DURHAM-ORACLE-PL/SQL-PowerBuilder-Oracle PL/SQL Programmer