Upper limit of total SGA for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8

Upper limit of total SGA for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8

Post by Harry Shen » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 23:49:40

Hi,

Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on
64-bit Solaris 8 ?

I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap size is
32GB.
the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123 error.
I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

H.S

Upper limit of total SGA for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 02:26:54

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:49:40 -0400, "Harry Sheng"

>Hi,

>Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on
>64-bit Solaris 8 ?

>I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap size is
>32GB.
>the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

>If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123 error.
>I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

>H.S

This is caused by the 32-bit limit imposed by running a 32-bit version
of Oracle.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Post by Pablo Sanche » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 02:33:18

> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:49:40 -0400, "Harry Sheng"

>>Hi,

>>Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i
>>Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8 ?

>>I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap
>>size is 32GB.
>>the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

>>If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123
>>error. I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

>>H.S

> This is caused by the 32-bit limit imposed by running a 32-bit
> version of Oracle.

More to the point, _any_ 32-bit application is limited to an address
space of 2G unless a translation table is used and multiple shared
memory segments are used to coalesce memory.  Not pretty, the way to
go for large memory models is to use a 64-bit application.
--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
http://www.hpdbe.com

Post by WF Holm » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 02:48:09

> Hi,

> Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on
> 64-bit Solaris 8 ?

> I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap size is
> 32GB.
> the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

> If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123 error.
> I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

> H.S

It's a lot smaller than that, but you can lower the attach address to
support larger SGAs.  Go out to Oracle Metalink and search.  There is
a doc out there that will give you instructions on how to lower the
attach address and thereby increase the size of your SGA.  You could
also move up to 64-bit Oracle8i.  HTH.

Post by Rauf Sarw » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:24:01

> Hi,

> Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i Release 3 on
> 64-bit Solaris 8 ?

> I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap size is
> 32GB.
> the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

> If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123 error.
> I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

> H.S

You may need to adjust sgabeg attach address. Check DocId 61896.1 on
Oracle Metalink for more info.
http://metalink.oracle.com/

/Rauf Sarwar

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sun, 06 Oct 2002 05:51:40

> > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002 10:49:40 -0400, "Harry Sheng"

> >>Hi,

> >>Is 2GB the upper limit of total SGA size for 32-bit Oracle8i
> >>Release 3 on 64-bit Solaris 8 ?

> >>I have 8 GB physical memory on my 64-bit Solaris 8 box, the swap
> >>size is 32GB.
> >>the shmsys:shminfo_shmmax is set to 4294967295 in /etc/system.

> >>If I set my database db block buffer size to 2GB, I got ORA-27123
> >>error. I guess this is caused by the 32-bit system 2GB limit ?

> >>H.S

> > This is caused by the 32-bit limit imposed by running a 32-bit
> > version of Oracle.

> More to the point, _any_ 32-bit application is limited to an address
> space of 2G unless a translation table is used and multiple shared
> memory segments are used to coalesce memory.  Not pretty, the way to
> go for large memory models is to use a 64-bit application.

Or failing that, implement a RAC.

;-)
HJR

Quote:> --
> Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
> http://www.hpdbe.com

1. 32-bit Oracle Server on 64-bit Solaris?

My company is running a 64-bit version of Oracle 8.1.6.1 on 64-bit Solaris7.

Recently, we have run into a problem with our application and Oracle.
The application vendor informs us about an Oracle patch that might address
our problem, BUT: The vendor is running 32-bit Oracle and OracleSupport
informs us that the aforementioned patch is not available for our platform.

We have raised this as an issue with the vendor, but the system owner wants
to know if 'downgrading' the server to 32-bit just to be able to apply this
patch(.!.)  can be possible.

First: Can it be done? (I kinda hope it's not..)
I'm quite new to Oracle and this whole idea appears quite stupid. Wouldn't
it defeat the purpose and advantages of 64-bits OS+DB? Wouldn't it be sort
of like teaching a dog to walk on two legs--possible, but not terribly
efficient..(Dog trainers: pls don't shoot me for this analogy)

Any insights appreciated

Knut E. Meidal
(Wannabe Oracle DBA)

2. SQL linking using foxpro tables

3. Porting 32-bit to 64-bit on Sun Solaris

4. FM Server 3.x and Win 2000 Server?

5. Ingres II 2.0 on Solaris 2.7 - 32 bit mode or 64 bit mode

6. Urgent Help Reqd.

7. 64-bit SQL Server and 32-bit dlls question

8. To Smartdrv or Not to Smartdrv thats the question

9. Performance: 32-bit SE vs. 64-bit EE

10. Changes in 64 bit Oracle from 32 bit

11. Moving from 8.1.7 32-bit to 8.1.7 64-bit

12. 32-bit Clients to 64-bit Oracle Server

13. 8.0.5 32-bit on HP-UX 11.0 64-bit