how to link to database

how to link to database

Post by Huaxi » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 15:03:00



Hi, I am using JDBC thin driver to query my Oracle 8i personal
edition installed on NT box.

Now I just wonder which values to insert for the URL for the driver
It says to be the form "host:port:sid"
Suppose my workstation is "carvel.srv.blahblah"
how can I get the sid of my database (I am newbie, really),
and what is the port number?

Thanks a lot!

 
 
 

how to link to database

Post by Avi Abram » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hi, I am using JDBC thin driver to query my Oracle 8i personal
> edition installed on NT box.

> Now I just wonder which values to insert for the URL for the driver
> It says to be the form "host:port:sid"
> Suppose my workstation is "carvel.srv.blahblah"
> how can I get the sid of my database (I am newbie, really),
> and what is the port number?

> Thanks a lot!

To find out the SID:
If you can connect to the database via SQL*Plus, the following
query will give you the SID:

select name from v$database

To find out the port
On the database server host machine, type the following command:

lsnrctl services

Somewhere in the output of that command, you should be able
to get the port number.

HTH,
Avi.

 
 
 

how to link to database

Post by Shana Che » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00




> > Hi, I am using JDBC thin driver to query my Oracle 8i personal
> > edition installed on NT box.

> > Now I just wonder which values to insert for the URL for the driver
> > It says to be the form "host:port:sid"
> > Suppose my workstation is "carvel.srv.blahblah"
> > how can I get the sid of my database (I am newbie, really),
> > and what is the port number?

> > Thanks a lot!

> To find out the SID:
> If you can connect to the database via SQL*Plus, the following
> query will give you the SID:

> select name from v$database

> To find out the port
> On the database server host machine, type the following command:

> lsnrctl services

> Somewhere in the output of that command, you should be able
> to get the port number.

> HTH,
> Avi.

You may not able to get the right port number by merely type command as
'lsnrctl services'.
And you may want to specify the service name along with this command as
'lsnrctl services <the service name>'

The service name can be found in the tnsnames.ora.  It is the string
left to the first =  sign of the entry of your SID.
You oracle DBA should be able to tell it.

sc

 
 
 

how to link to database

Post by fran » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Only when using the standard listener, called listener.
For named listeneres, that would be
lsnrctl  <listener_name> services



> > > Hi, I am using JDBC thin driver to query my Oracle 8i personal
> > > edition installed on NT box.

> > > Now I just wonder which values to insert for the URL for the driver
> > > It says to be the form "host:port:sid"
> > > Suppose my workstation is "carvel.srv.blahblah"
> > > how can I get the sid of my database (I am newbie, really),
> > > and what is the port number?

> > > Thanks a lot!

> > To find out the SID:
> > If you can connect to the database via SQL*Plus, the following
> > query will give you the SID:

> > select name from v$database

> > To find out the port
> > On the database server host machine, type the following command:

> > lsnrctl services

> > Somewhere in the output of that command, you should be able
> > to get the port number.

> > HTH,
> > Avi.

> You may not able to get the right port number by merely type command as
> 'lsnrctl services'.
> And you may want to specify the service name along with this command as
> 'lsnrctl services <the service name>'

> The service name can be found in the tnsnames.ora.  It is the string
> left to the first =  sign of the entry of your SID.
> You oracle DBA should be able to tell it.

> sc

 
 
 

1. How to link to Database linked forms ?

Hello every body,

I'm beginning with VB 5.0.
Can someone tell me how to for this:
- I have form1 linked with a database
- I have a button in form1 which load form2 (linked with the same Database)
How to do to open form2 on the same recordset that the one in form1 (there
is the same IDKey in the two forms).

Thank you very much for helping.

Ridha

2. DAO3.6, Ora-DB via ODBCDirect, RecordCount -1, no Moves, no use of VARCHAR2(2000)-Fields

3. How do I link 2 databases?

4. undefined references

5. Locking records in an Access linked SQL database???

6. Enterprise Manager/Database Diagrammer

7. Performance issues with linked Oracle database

8. How to let the "PRINT" not do

9. Using openquery to insert into a linked oracle database

10. Copy linked Oracle database

11. #Deleted records in linked sql2k database

12. How to link external database