JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by Joern Guy Sues » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hallo!

As you can guess from the long mailing list, I've got a _really_
difficult problem to solve:

In the context of a project I am involved with, we are trying to tie
together a few pieces of modern technology. It is about a

- relational database being administered using a
- java program with JDBC which is
- connected to OrbixWeb and takes remote calls over that interface

The trouble is finding a platform on which all (or most of it) could be
running. This means a single computer should be able to run

- An SQL database
- a JDBC-interface to that database

What do we have?

- A Sun running solaris with Oracle 7
- A PC running Linux 2.0.27 with postgres 95

One big problem is, that I do not see to clearly on the concept of ODBC.
If it would be possible to run an ODBC service on any of the above two
systems, the problem would be solved, because of the JDBC/ODBC-Bridge.
But I gather, ODBC is strictly married to MS-products and dependent on
its drivers.

So my question is:

Is there a way to set up the system systems above using publicly
available software, in such a way that they meet the criterium of

- an SQL DB
- JDBC access

???

Please answer PM
--
 OOOO    OOOO  OOOOOO     OOOOOO  OOOOO     **     **
  OOOO  OOOO OOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOO OOO     ** ** ** **  (UNBEATABLE !!)

Bear..."

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by paul » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

The way to get JDBC to talk to Oracle is to by the Intersolve
ODBC driver with the JDBC bridge for Solaris 2.5.1. It doesn't
cost that much and you can put them on the server so you can
get multi server access.

The other way would be to use native methods and bind to the
Oracle API. But I have not tried that.

Ok Paul

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by Mark Lehre » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there a way to set up the system systems above using publicly
> available software, in such a way that they meet the criterium of

> - an SQL DB
> - JDBC access

Postgres95's JDBC drivers are somewhat primitive but functional; so
Linux + Postgres + JavaPostgres-0.2 is one way to go; at least for
a proof-of-concept prototype.  I wouldn't use it for anything too
complicated, though, since the JDBC classes are probably a bit
fragile.

I do not know anything about Orbix, so I cannot comment on that.

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by Roland Turne » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> The way to get JDBC to talk to Oracle is to by the Intersolve
> ODBC driver with the JDBC bridge for Solaris 2.5.1. It doesn't
> cost that much and you can put them on the server so you can
> get multi server access.

There are others that will talk to Oracle. Check out
http://splash.javasoft.com/jdbc/jdbc.drivers.html

- Raz

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by Steve Burma » Fri, 07 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> > Is there a way to set up the system systems above using publicly
> > available software, in such a way that they meet the criterium of

> > - an SQL DB
> > - JDBC access

> Postgres95's JDBC drivers are somewhat primitive but functional; so
> Linux + Postgres + JavaPostgres-0.2 is one way to go; at least for
> a proof-of-concept prototype.  I wouldn't use it for anything too
> complicated, though, since the JDBC classes are probably a bit
> fragile.

> I do not know anything about Orbix, so I cannot comment on that.

Also consider mSQL(most platforms, downloadable, affordable)
  & MsqlJava driver(all platforms, downloadable, affordable)

--
Steve Burman
SoftwareDevelopment / CAD Systems Support

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by Ken Nort » Sun, 16 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> One big problem is, that I do not see to clearly on the concept of ODBC.
> If it would be possible to run an ODBC service on any of the above two
> systems, the problem would be solved, because of the JDBC/ODBC-Bridge.
> But I gather, ODBC is strictly married to MS-products and dependent on
> its drivers.

No. ODBC is not married to Windows or Microsoft or dependent on Microsoft
drivers. There are several hundred drivers from about 80 vendors. Microsoft
provides ODBC for Windows but ODBC for non-Windows platforms comes from
other companies.

For more of an explanation of ODBC, JDBC, sources for drivers and so on you
can jump to magazine articles by linking from:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North/magazine.htm

Choose your topic and follow the links to the pages at the Web sites of
computer magazines.

--
Ken North
home page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Ken_North

Resource Group, Inc.
2604B El Camino Real, #351
Carlsbad, CA 92008-1214
FAX: 619-729-5127

JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

Post by RYoun » Mon, 17 Feb 1997 04:00:00

You can check out one vendor at www.visigenic.com on ODBC support for UNIX
systems as well.

> But I gather, ODBC is strictly married to MS-products and dependent on
> > its drivers.

1. JDBC / Corba / SQL-DB on one Box

[...]

2. ATTENTION NOTE HOLDERS

3. Any method to send xp_sendmail to Microsoft Exchange ?

4. Move DB from one box to other box

5. Locking issues in Ingres

6. Restore from one 6.5 box to another 6.5 box

7. Move Oracle from one AIX box to another one

8. Transfer Db Diagrams from multiple Dbs into one Db in SQL 7

9. one-step corba?

10. Wanted: one or more in C++, OO, Java, Oracle, Informix, CORBA, Unix, NT