peformance metrics for 8i standard vs enterprise editions

peformance metrics for 8i standard vs enterprise editions

Post by Gumfi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

hi,

i'm tyring to locate performance metrics for LINUX oracle 8i that compare
the standard edition to the enterprise edition.

basically, i'm wondering how long i might be able to get by using the
standard edition as the back-end of a web site until traffic forces me to
upgrade to the enterprise edition.

any ideas out there?

thanks very much,

-g-

1. Oracle 8i Standard Edition vs Enterprise Edition for Linux

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a back-end database server platform for a
new application service.
My platform is Red Hat Linux/Apache and all the application will be written
in 90% Perl (mod_perl based) and 10% ANSI C. The application will maintain
persistent connection to the back-end database and also includes batch
processing for purchase history analysis.

After looking at the pricing and other information at Oracle web site, I
came to the following conclusion:

Solution #1: Using multiple (2+) standard edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 2 or more Oracle 8i standard edition
servers to maintain a high degree of performance.

Solution #2: Using (1-2) enterprise edition Oracle 8i on Linux
I will load balance clients between 1-2 Oracle 8i enterprise edition servers
to maintain a high degree of performance.

Obviously, the 2nd solution is VERY EXPENSIVE.

What I would like to find out is the following:

Am I better of with solution #1 where the Oracle pricing allows me to add
more standard edition database servers as my need grows with more and more
clients. Any thoughts/pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I am interested in hearing about Oracle experts who are using it in
Linux platform for large scale OLTP.

A reply post or direct e-mail will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kabir
http://www.nitec.com

2. datagrid or mshFlexgrid

3. Oracle 8i Standard vs. Oracle 8i Enterprise edition

4. How to Modify files on Server?

5. Installing 8i Enterprise edition over 8i Standard edition

6. Help - SQL Server 2000 Client Problem?

7. different between oracle 8i standard vs enterprise edition

8. Perl Interface To Oracle?

9. MS-SQL 2000 Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition

10. Enterprise Edition vs Standard Edition

11. Enterprise Edition vs Standard Edition 7

12. Enterprise edition vs. Standard Edition