Listener service does not start

Post by Vern Shellm » Tue, 03 Dec 2002 14:02:25

I've got Oracle8i installed on a single machine running NT4.0/SP5 and
the listener won't start.  The installation went well and I can access
the database using SQL*Plus or Server Manager, but ran into problems
configuring OEM.   It said there was no listener, and it was right!
The service wasn't started even though it was set to automatic.
Trying to start the service  manually, Windows waits a bit then
reveals that nothing happened but no errors were reported either.
Launching LISTENER.EXE directly opens a DOS window with a blinking
cursor that just sits there doing nothing.

My question is this:  Is the executable corrupt, or is it waiting on
an improper configuration setting somewhere?  if corrupt, is there a
way to reinstall just the service from the CD without having to do a
complete reinstall?

Thanks in advance.

Vern Shellman

Listener service does not start

Try use netconfig  to reconfig the tnsnames.ora file

Post by Simon Sheppa » Wed, 04 Dec 2002 04:08:19

>I've got Oracle8i installed on a single machine running NT4.0/SP5 and
>the listener won't start.  The installation went well and I can access
>the database using SQL*Plus or Server Manager, but ran into problems
>configuring OEM.   It said there was no listener, and it was right!
>The service wasn't started even though it was set to automatic.
>Trying to start the service  manually, Windows waits a bit then
>reveals that nothing happened but no errors were reported either.

Check the password of the NT account that's running the listener
service and check the account has rights to log on locally.

-
Simon Sheppard
http://www.ss64.com
-

Listener service does not start

Post by Ed Steve » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 03:56:46

A rather interesting solution, seeing as the listener doesn't give a fig about
TNSNAMES.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)

Post by Karsten Farrel » Thu, 05 Dec 2002 06:44:37

> I've got Oracle8i installed on a single machine running NT4.0/SP5 and
> the listener won't start.  The installation went well and I can access
> the database using SQL*Plus or Server Manager, but ran into problems
> configuring OEM.   It said there was no listener, and it was right!
> The service wasn't started even though it was set to automatic.
> Trying to start the service  manually, Windows waits a bit then
> reveals that nothing happened but no errors were reported either.
> Launching LISTENER.EXE directly opens a DOS window with a blinking
> cursor that just sits there doing nothing.

> My question is this:  Is the executable corrupt, or is it waiting on
> an improper configuration setting somewhere?  if corrupt, is there a
> way to reinstall just the service from the CD without having to do a
> complete reinstall?

> Thanks in advance.

> Vern Shellman

You don't want to launch LISTENER.EXE directly. Open a DOS window, then
type:

lsnrctl start

To see what network services it knows about, type:

lsnrctl services

1. Problem starting Listener service.

I had installed Oracle8 Enterprise Edition on my company's NT server and all
was working smoothly.  The local administrator took the server down over the
weekend and now we are unable to start the TNSListener80.  We get one of two
NT error messages:  1067, which says "internal exception" or something and
2140, which states that "An internal Windows NT error occurred."

Has anyone seen this before?  Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Michael.

2. Looking for a JOB ...... DataBase Development, Application Dvlpmnt, System Devlpmnt

3. Listener Service Doesn't Start Automatically

4. DTS error details in VB6

5. Service did not start after WinNT starts

6. Urgent, tables in dbspaces

7. ORANT 8.04: Listener Service Won't Start

8. BDE in DLL

9. Listener service doesn't start

10. SQL 7.0 Service Manager error 1069 - (The service did not start due to a logon failure

11. OEM not working, Service not start!!

12. Listener not starting up on boot in init script for 8i on Solaris 8