Disk is broken can't start Oracle database

Disk is broken can't start Oracle database

Post by Rexx » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I run small Oracle 7.3 database in NONARCHIVE log mode on NT with 4 disks .
I have also full database export.
Suddenly one of disks is broken. That disk is not Nt system disk or disk
where Oracle server installed, but I can't startup Oracle database.
Is there any way to :
1. 'say to Oracle' don't use files on broken disk and startup Oracle
2. read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken disk from oracle
server (maybe from dictionary ).
3. repair tablespace (even empty) which resided on broken disk to the other
good disk

The name of tablespaces is similar name of files e.g. TS  KD, file is
c:\oradata\KD_DATA.ORA and if I can know name of TS I can remember name of
files.

Remove nospam from address

Disk is broken can't start Oracle database

Post by mee.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Do you have a full database export or a full database backup?

If you have a full database backup.
Restore the files to their locations, and the files that were on
damaged disks to a new location.  Mount but don't open the Database.
Use the 'ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE' command to tell Oracle where you
put the datafiles.

If you do NOT have a full database backup and are going to rely on an
export.
I have not done this before.

Good Luck,
   Michael Heindel

> I run small Oracle 7.3 database in NONARCHIVE log mode on NT with 4
disks .
> I have also full database export.
> Suddenly one of disks is broken. That disk is not Nt system disk or
disk
> where Oracle server installed, but I can't startup Oracle database.
> Is there any way to :
> 1. 'say to Oracle' don't use files on broken disk and startup Oracle
> 2. read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken disk from
oracle
> server (maybe from dictionary ).
> 3. repair tablespace (even empty) which resided on broken disk to the
other
> good disk

> The name of tablespaces is similar name of files e.g. TS  KD, file is
> c:\oradata\KD_DATA.ORA and if I can know name of TS I can remember
name of
> files.

> --

> Remove nospam from address

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Disk is broken can't start Oracle database

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I run small Oracle 7.3 database in NONARCHIVE log mode on NT with 4 disks
.
> I have also full database export.
> Suddenly one of disks is broken. That disk is not Nt system disk or disk
> where Oracle server installed, but I can't startup Oracle database.
> Is there any way to :
> 1. 'say to Oracle' don't use files on broken disk and startup Oracle

Yes.  Get yourself into the mount stage (asusming that it's not your Control
File that's bitten the dust), and then issue the command 'alter database
datafile 'path/filename' offline drop';  You'll lose all the data that was
stored in the file, of course.

Repeat as often as necessary until all missing datafiles are thus removed.

Then: Alter database open, then 'alter tablespace X drop';

Finally, re-create the tablespace(s) on new disks.  Use exactly the same
tablespace names as before.

To re-populate the tablespace with the lost data, run import on your full
export dump file, and select to import by Table.  You'll need to know what
tables were stored in the original tablespace (you DO have that information
handy, I hope).  Name all the tables, and Import should re-populate the
freshly-created tablespace (import uses the tablespace name to house the new
tables, not the data file paths and/or filenames).

Quote:> 2. read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken disk from oracle
> server (maybe from dictionary ).

There are some V$ that tell you what files are stuffed.
V$Recovery_files????  I can never remember the damned things off the top of
my head.  I suggest you 'select * from dictionary where table_name like
'Recover*' ' and see what you get.  Sorry to be so vague.

Quote:> 3. repair tablespace (even empty) which resided on broken disk to the
other
> good disk

See above.

Regards
HJR

> The name of tablespaces is similar name of files e.g. TS  KD, file is
> c:\oradata\KD_DATA.ORA and if I can know name of TS I can remember name of
> files.

> --

> Remove nospam from address

Disk is broken can't start Oracle database

Post by Rexx » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Yes.  Get yourself into the mount stage (asusming that it's not your
Control
> File that's bitten the dust), and then issue the command 'alter database
> datafile 'path/filename' offline drop';  You'll lose all the data that was
> stored in the file, of course.

> Repeat as often as necessary until all missing datafiles are thus removed.

> Then: Alter database open, then 'alter tablespace X drop';

> Finally, re-create the tablespace(s) on new disks.  Use exactly the same
> tablespace names as before.

> To re-populate the tablespace with the lost data, run import on your full
> export dump file, and select to import by Table.  You'll need to know what
> tables were stored in the original tablespace (you DO have that
information
> handy, I hope).  Name all the tables, and Import should re-populate the
> freshly-created tablespace (import uses the tablespace name to house the
new
> tables, not the data file paths and/or filenames).

> > 2. read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken disk from
oracle
> > server (maybe from dictionary ).

> There are some V$ that tell you what files are stuffed.
> V$Recovery_files????  I can never remember the damned things off the top
of
> my head.  I suggest you 'select * from dictionary where table_name like
> 'Recover*' ' and see what you get.  Sorry to be so vague.

My problem is how read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken
disk from oracle server,  when I am in mount stage. Can I  in that moment
use V$ tables to get some useful data?
I know that I can use V$ to get data when Oracle DB is live, but in Mount
stage .....

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sat, 19 Aug 2000 06:31:24

Quote:

> > Yes.  Get yourself into the mount stage (asusming that it's not your
> Control
> > File that's bitten the dust), and then issue the command 'alter database
> > datafile 'path/filename' offline drop';  You'll lose all the data that
was
> > stored in the file, of course.

> > Repeat as often as necessary until all missing datafiles are thus
removed.

> > Then: Alter database open, then 'alter tablespace X drop';

> > Finally, re-create the tablespace(s) on new disks.  Use exactly the same
> > tablespace names as before.

> > To re-populate the tablespace with the lost data, run import on your
full
> > export dump file, and select to import by Table.  You'll need to know
what
> > tables were stored in the original tablespace (you DO have that
> information
> > handy, I hope).  Name all the tables, and Import should re-populate the
> > freshly-created tablespace (import uses the tablespace name to house the
> new
> > tables, not the data file paths and/or filenames).

> > > 2. read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken disk from
> oracle
> > > server (maybe from dictionary ).

> > There are some V$ that tell you what files are stuffed.
> > V$Recovery_files????  I can never remember the damned things off the top
> of
> > my head.  I suggest you 'select * from dictionary where table_name like
> > 'Recover*' ' and see what you get.  Sorry to be so vague.

> My problem is how read the name of lost files (or tablespaces) on broken
> disk from oracle server,  when I am in mount stage. Can I  in that moment
> use V$ tables to get some useful data?
> I know that I can use V$ to get data when Oracle DB is live, but in Mount
> stage .....

Absolutely.  Once you are in mount stage, you have read the Control File,
and hence all V$ views relating to physical disk structures can be read
(since the Control File has pointers to all the files in the database).  For
example, v$datafile, v$logfile, v$log, v$controlfile.

Regards
HJR