Invalid Password File when creating a new database

Invalid Password File when creating a new database

Post by June MacLeo » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 23:40:24

Hello,  I am new to Oracle and need to create a test database as the backend
for a vb frontend.

I am trying to set up a new database using Oracle 8i on an NT4 Server.  We
already have a database running so we know the system works.

I have set up the ORACLE_SID to be CMAXDEV in the registry.  I have created
and started an NT Service named OracleServiceCMAXDEV.  I then adapted the
init.ora file and renamed it initCMAXDEV.ora

I have then started the svrmgrl utility and connected as SYSDBA.  I issued
the command to STARTUP NOMOUNT and then CREATE DATABASE CMAXDEV;

At this point it comes back with the message:
ORA-01501 Create Database Failed
ORA-01991 invalid password file 'e:\oracle\ora81\DATABASES\PWDcmaxdev.ora'

I am unsure of where this file comes from and what should be in it.

Could someone offer some help as to what I am doing wrong.

Thanks

June Macleod

Post by Daniel Morga » Sun, 03 Nov 2002 01:33:12

> Hello,  I am new to Oracle and need to create a test database as the backend
> for a vb frontend.

> I am trying to set up a new database using Oracle 8i on an NT4 Server.  We
> already have a database running so we know the system works.

> I have set up the ORACLE_SID to be CMAXDEV in the registry.  I have created
> and started an NT Service named OracleServiceCMAXDEV.  I then adapted the
> init.ora file and renamed it initCMAXDEV.ora

> I have then started the svrmgrl utility and connected as SYSDBA.  I issued
> the command to STARTUP NOMOUNT and then CREATE DATABASE CMAXDEV;

> At this point it comes back with the message:
> ORA-01501 Create Database Failed
> ORA-01991 invalid password file 'e:\oracle\ora81\DATABASES\PWDcmaxdev.ora'

> I am unsure of where this file comes from and what should be in it.

> Could someone offer some help as to what I am doing wrong.

> Thanks

> June Macleod

Delete the password file and recreate the Oracle services using ORADIM.

How do you have password file set in your init.ora? Exclusive or shared?

Daniel Morgan

Invalid Password File when creating a new database

Post by Kanti » Tue, 05 Nov 2002 17:09:16

Hi,
I think you have set remote_password_file=exclusive in your initSID.ora,
so when you try to create the db, the instance search the password file in
your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.
You can:
1) Create a new password file before you create the db
(with the command
-->orapwd file=orapwSID password=yourpassword entries=NumberOfEntries
in your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs )
2) Set remote_password_file=none in your initSID.ora before you create the
db
Hope this helps you

Invalid Password File when creating a new database

Post by June MacLeo » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:12:38

Thanks for helping me out.  This solved the problem.

June

Quote:> Hi,
> I think you have set remote_password_file=exclusive in your initSID.ora,
> so when you try to create the db, the instance search the password file in
> your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.
> You can:
> 1) Create a new password file before you create the db
> (with the command
> -->orapwd file=orapwSID password=yourpassword entries=NumberOfEntries
> in your $ORACLE_HOME/dbs )
> 2) Set remote_password_file=none in your initSID.ora before you create the
> db
> Hope this helps you

Invalid Password File when creating a new database

Post by June MacLeo » Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:12:14

Thanks for helping me out here.

June

> > Hello,  I am new to Oracle and need to create a test database as the
backend
> > for a vb frontend.

> > I am trying to set up a new database using Oracle 8i on an NT4 Server.
We
> > already have a database running so we know the system works.

> > I have set up the ORACLE_SID to be CMAXDEV in the registry.  I have
created
> > and started an NT Service named OracleServiceCMAXDEV.  I then adapted
the
> > init.ora file and renamed it initCMAXDEV.ora

> > I have then started the svrmgrl utility and connected as SYSDBA.  I
issued
> > the command to STARTUP NOMOUNT and then CREATE DATABASE CMAXDEV;

> > At this point it comes back with the message:
> > ORA-01501 Create Database Failed
> > ORA-01991 invalid password file

'e:\oracle\ora81\DATABASES\PWDcmaxdev.ora'

Quote:

> > I am unsure of where this file comes from and what should be in it.

> > Could someone offer some help as to what I am doing wrong.

> > Thanks

> > June Macleod

> Delete the password file and recreate the Oracle services using ORADIM.

> How do you have password file set in your init.ora? Exclusive or shared?

> Daniel Morgan

1. Invalid password file when creating new db in Linux

I am trying to create a new database in Linux. I have successfully
installed oracle 8.1.7 and can access the oracle starter database
without any problems.

In order to create the new database I have done the following:

1. Make a copy of the init.ora file as initTESTDB.ora and edit the new
   file by fixing the database name and paths in the file to point to
   the correct location.
2. Start up the database in server manager as no mount using new
   initTESTDB.ora file.
3. Created a build script that issues a CREATE DATABASE statement and
   creates the redo logs and system.dbf file.
4. run the Build script created in step 3.

Running this creates the Control files, the Redo logs and the System.dbf
file, however it falls over with an invalid password file error.
ORA-01991 invalid password file
'/opt/oracle/product/oracle/dbs/orapwora'

I am pointing the amended parameter file to a new location to that of
the old one for I want thsi database to reside in a different area.

Can some explain why I am getting this error with the password file?

How do I bypass this?

I am new to Linux, so still getting the hang of things.

Thanks.

--
Daniel Buckingham
Technical Consultant

2. after sql server sp 4, existing views timeout

3. Invalid Account or Password reading VB created Jet database

4. SQL DMO and Restore

5. Create new database with existing file

6. Sybase FAQ: 1/17 - index

7. Create a new database from .dat files?

8. LEELO TE HARA GANAR DINERO

9. Creating new database with existing Physical file name on HD

10. Creating a new database file (VB4.0)

11. creating a new database file.

12. Create a new table or database file

13. ORA-01991 invalid password file name