Memory Windows on 64 bit HPUX 11.0

Post by Biju Thoma » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Has anyone used the memory windows feature of HPUX 11, the solution for
32-bit applications to use more than 1.75GB of shared memory (on 64bit OS)?

(Yes, basically you can run 32 bit oracle on 64 bit OS and make use of the
shared memory more than 1.75GB - not single instance, of course, each memory
window can have up to 1.75GB; enable memory windows by changing the kernel
parameter max_mem_windows)

I would like to know the problems and restrictions.
Is there another way not to have to prefix all commands referencing the
private window with "setmemwindow -i id"?

Any idea when Oracle will certify the use of Memory Windows?

Thanks!
Biju Thomas

Memory Windows on 64 bit HPUX 11.0

Post by David Sis » Sun, 16 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Isn't there a 64-bit version of Oracle for HPUX11?

>Has anyone used the memory windows feature of HPUX 11, the solution for
>32-bit applications to use more than 1.75GB of shared memory (on 64bit OS)?

>(Yes, basically you can run 32 bit oracle on 64 bit OS and make use of the
>shared memory more than 1.75GB - not single instance, of course, each
memory
>window can have up to 1.75GB; enable memory windows by changing the kernel
>parameter max_mem_windows)

>I would like to know the problems and restrictions.
>Is there another way not to have to prefix all commands referencing the
>private window with "setmemwindow -i id"?

>Any idea when Oracle will certify the use of Memory Windows?

>Thanks!
>Biju Thomas

Memory Windows on 64 bit HPUX 11.0

Post by Biju Thoma » Mon, 17 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Yes (Oracle 8.0.4S - controlled release), but the application we are running
are not ready for Oracle8!!!

FYI.. Oracle informed that as of today Memory Windows is not supported by
Oracle.

Biju