Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by Uri Margal » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello!

We need to propogate data from DB2 MVS/ESA to Oracle (UNIX/NT).
The tables are big and I don't want to propogate al the tables
evreytime, I want only propogate the changes. I use DPROP to propogate
the tables from DB2 to DB2, but which tool can I use to propogate from
DB2 to Oracle. I also need to propogate from Oracle to DB2, which tool
can do that ?

Help will be appriciate.

Uri Margalit.

Please email

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by Victor Tsie » Sun, 18 May 1997 04:00:00

The best tool you should use is Oracle's Transparent Gateway, it is a
product, very much like sqlnet.  You can dblink the tables from DB2/mvs to
your Oracle and joint the tables already on Oracle.  If you don't have
transparent gateway, you can use dsntep2 to convert the table to a flat
file and then ftp to unix, where you use sqlload to load into an Oracle
corr table.  You can schedule the job and sync the time and make the job
automatic.  I used to be DB2 DBA on MVS and later an Oracle DBA on Unix.
For data type conversion, you need to know Oracle doesn't have timestamp.
If you need to convert a timestamp, you should convert the millisecond
portion to an Oracle sequence number.  With transparent gateway, it does
that internally.

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by ?μ???è NEWS GROUP àì?? » Mon, 19 May 1997 04:00:00

: The best tool you should use is Oracle's Transparent Gateway, it is a
: product, very much like sqlnet.  You can dblink the tables from DB2/mvs to
: your Oracle and joint the tables already on Oracle.  If you don't have
: transparent gateway, you can use dsntep2 to convert the table to a flat
: file and then ftp to unix, where you use sqlload to load into an Oracle
: corr table.  You can schedule the job and sync the time and make the job
: automatic.  I used to be DB2 DBA on MVS and later an Oracle DBA on Unix.
: For data type conversion, you need to know Oracle doesn't have timestamp.
: If you need to convert a timestamp, you should convert the millisecond
: portion to an Oracle sequence number.  With transparent gateway, it does
: that internally.

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by JE » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

EMC Corporation and BMC Software recently announced a product called
DataReach that provides direct movement of MVS/DB2 data to a UNIX/Oracle
database. Check out http://www.emc.com for details.

> Hello!

> We need to propogate data from DB2 MVS/ESA to Oracle (UNIX/NT).
> The tables are big and I don't want to propogate al the tables
> evreytime, I want only propogate the changes. I use DPROP to propogate
> the tables from DB2 to DB2, but which tool can I use to propogate from
> DB2 to Oracle. I also need to propogate from Oracle to DB2, which tool
> can do that ?

> Help will be appriciate.

> Uri Margalit.

> Please email

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by Steve Watts, X3-48 » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

IBM has a product called DataJoiner that you can use in combination with
DPROPR to propogate from/to DB2/MVS & oracle. As an aside, you can use
DataJoiner to join DB2 & Oracle data (and in V2 it supports updating both
in the same UOW).

Steve Watts
IBM
DataJoiner Development

   Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.server,comp.databases.ibm-db2
   Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 10:12:01 GMT

--

IBM Corporation
San Jose, CA 95161-9023

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by Gene Kligerma » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello!

> We need to propogate data from DB2 MVS/ESA to Oracle (UNIX/NT).
> The tables are big and I don't want to propogate al the tables
> evreytime, I want only propogate the changes. I use DPROP to propogate
> the tables from DB2 to DB2, but which tool can I use to propogate from
> DB2 to Oracle. I also need to propogate from Oracle to DB2, which tool
> can do that ?

Take a look at IBM's DataJoiner product (running on AIX).
It supports DPROP to propagate between DB2 and non-DB2 databases
in addition to providing other capabilities.

http://www.software.ibm.com/data should have more information.

--
Gene Kligerman
DB2 Development, IBM Software Solutions Toronto Lab

Got a question? The DB2 Product and Service Technical Library might have
an answer.  Search http://www.software.ibm.com/data/db2/support/servinfo

Connect Oracle & Db2

Post by Greg Vitetzaki » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

If I'm not mistaken Oracle did a seminar on this about 1.5 years ago. (It
was using an AS/400
running DB2 ) I'm assuming it shouldn't change to much with VMS since SQL
should take care
of all the comms between both databases.

What it came down to was have a live connection between both databases.
Oracle
suggested using SQL*Net 2.0 or above.  (It seems to be compatible to DB2
and I believe
there's a version for MVS).  This way using standard SQL statements the
transfer of
data from both databases can be made effortles via the apps or in batches.
The SQL statements
can be launched from either platform...

Good Luck..

> Hello!

> We need to propogate data from DB2 MVS/ESA to Oracle (UNIX/NT).
> The tables are big and I don't want to propogate al the tables
> evreytime, I want only propogate the changes. I use DPROP to propogate
> the tables from DB2 to DB2, but which tool can I use to propogate from
> DB2 to Oracle. I also need to propogate from Oracle to DB2, which tool
> can do that ?

> Help will be appriciate.

> Uri Margalit.

> Please email

1. DTS & DB2 ODBC Driver Using DB2 Connect

I have a DTS package that pulls multiple DB2 tables into SQL Server 2000
using IBM CLI driver with DB2 Connect.

Works great.

Problem is that I can only download one DB2 table at a time.  This means
that I have to set my package properties to execute only 1 task in parallel
(very inefficient when many other tasks COUJLD be running at the same time).

I get an error that is fairly generic.  I'm assuming that ODBC or DB2 (or
something) can only handle one "thread" or connection to DB2 at a time.  I'm
guessing that the task that is in wait times out or something like that
causing the DTS package to fail.

Does anyone have experience with something like this?  Is this a DB2 ODBC
setting?  Any input is appreciated.

Chuck

2. Dire Straits

3. Distributed DB2 - Oracle/Oracle - Oracle/DB2 - DB2/DB2

4. Too much space for a database?

5. DB2 Connect & ADODB

6. VFP Developer Wanted: Cleveland, OH

7. Need help

8. DB2 Connect & Password

9. Cleveland: DB2 DBA/Systems Programmer with DB2 Connect

10. DB2 Newbie: Connecting to AS/400 DB2 with JDBC problems

11. applications connect to db2 without db2 client?