Oracle 8i Listener and Oracle 8i Listener

Oracle 8i Listener and Oracle 8i Listener

Post by Loadrunne » Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:25:27

I have a W2K Server with Oracle 8.1.7 installed and I have also installed
Oracle 9.0.1 on to this machine.

I have two listeners now, one for Oracle 8i on port 1521 and one for Oracle
9i on port 1522.

Is it possible to have the Oracle 9i listener listen for connections to
Oracle 8i databases?

Below is the listener.ora file I have for the Oracle 9i listener.

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dboracle)(PORT = 1522))
      )
    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
      (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
      (ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora90)
      (PROGRAM = extproc)
    )
    (SID_DESC =
      (GLOBAL_DBNAME = SALES)
      (ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora81)
      (SID_NAME = SALES)
    )
  )

When I try to connect to the SALES database I get a Ora-12541 TNS: No
listener error message.

Oracle 8i Listener and Oracle 8i Listener

Post by George Barbou » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 00:20:17

Quote:> I have a W2K Server with Oracle 8.1.7 installed and I have also installed
> Oracle 9.0.1 on to this machine.

> I have two listeners now, one for Oracle 8i on port 1521 and one for
Oracle
> 9i on port 1522.

> Is it possible to have the Oracle 9i listener listen for connections to
> Oracle 8i databases?

> Below is the listener.ora file I have for the Oracle 9i listener.

> LISTENER =
>   (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
>     (DESCRIPTION =
>       (ADDRESS_LIST =
>         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dboracle)(PORT = 1522))
>       )
>     )
>   )

> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
>   (SID_LIST =
>     (SID_DESC =
>       (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
>       (ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora90)
>       (PROGRAM = extproc)
>     )
>     (SID_DESC =
>       (GLOBAL_DBNAME = SALES)
>       (ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora81)
>       (SID_NAME = SALES)
>     )
>   )

> When I try to connect to the SALES database I get a Ora-12541 TNS: No
> listener error message.

I think you need another port address identified for the SALES database.
e.g. add the line.
    (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS_LIST =
        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dboracle)(PORT = 1521))
     )
I have/had Oracle 9i listener working for O8.1.5, O8.1.7 * O9i.
George Barbour.

Post by Rauf Sarw » Sat, 15 Jun 2002 02:22:25

> I have a W2K Server with Oracle 8.1.7 installed and I have also installed
> Oracle 9.0.1 on to this machine.

> I have two listeners now, one for Oracle 8i on port 1521 and one for Oracle
> 9i on port 1522.

> Is it possible to have the Oracle 9i listener listen for connections to
> Oracle 8i databases?

> Below is the listener.ora file I have for the Oracle 9i listener.

> LISTENER =
>   (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
>     (DESCRIPTION =
>       (ADDRESS_LIST =
>         (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dboracle)(PORT = 1522))
>       )
>     )
>   )

> SID_LIST_LISTENER =
>   (SID_LIST =
>     (SID_DESC =
>       (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
>       (ORACLE_HOME = d:\oracle\ora90)
>       (PROGRAM = extproc)
>     )
>     (SID_DESC =
>       (GLOBAL_DBNAME = SALES)
>       (ORACLE_HOME = c:\oracle\ora81)
>       (SID_NAME = SALES)
>     )
>   )

> When I try to connect to the SALES database I get a Ora-12541 TNS: No
> listener error message.

Check your SALES connect parameters in client tnsnames.ors file. PORT
should say 1522 since you are using 9i listener listening on PORT
1522.