Bypassing the OCI and using SQL NET's inteface to check on a Server

Bypassing the OCI and using SQL NET's inteface to check on a Server

Post by Joel Garci » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to see if an Oracle Server is up without establishing a
connection programmatically? I'm writing a C++ app that makes use of the
OCI; both OCI 7's orlon and OCI 8's OCIServerAttach establish a connection.
Establishing a connection takes too long. I basically want to do the
equivalent of a TNSPING80.exe and some call to check on the status of the
server. I've been told by Oracle that the only way to do this is with their
proprietary SQL* NET Dll's which they don't release a public interface for.
Any ideas on how to make sense of the SQL NET dlls interface or another
mechanism for doing what I want.

Thanks in advance,
Joel P. Garcia

Bypassing the OCI and using SQL NET's inteface to check on a Server

Post by Christopher M. Da » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Joel,

The O8 install of Net8 gives you the TNS Open api under net80\tnsapi
would that help ?

Chris.