hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by NetComrad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
database?

Thanx.

hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Sat, 07 Oct 2000 07:02:13

>How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
>database?

>Thanx.

You need to configure the file protocol.ora
This file should have
tcp.invited_nodes=(....)
tcp.excluded_nodes=(...)

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by NetComrad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

yeah.. I found out later on.
It's surprising how all oracle documentation sucks.
I couldn't find anything in any books about this under 'security'
chapters, but I knew it could be done. Luckily i remembered that it
had something to do with protocol.ora, but no book states where the
hell the file should be. I tried placing it in
$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
and
/var/opt/oracle
but nothing worked. It turned out that protocol.ora had to be named
protocol.ora in 8i.
Not only that, but all 400 ips had to be one one line, which vi
couldn't handle. (perl rulz).

On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 00:02:13 +0200, Sybrand Bakker

>>How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
>>database?

>>Thanx.

>You need to configure the file protocol.ora
>This file should have
>tcp.invited_nodes=(....)
>tcp.excluded_nodes=(...)

>Hth

>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by NetComrad » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

that's .protocol.ora (notice the extra dot in the front) in 8i, and it
had to be placed in $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin

>yeah.. I found out later on.
>It's surprising how all oracle documentation sucks.
>I couldn't find anything in any books about this under 'security'
>chapters, but I knew it could be done. Luckily i remembered that it
>had something to do with protocol.ora, but no book states where the
>hell the file should be. I tried placing it in
>$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin
>and
>/var/opt/oracle
>but nothing worked. It turned out that protocol.ora had to be named
>protocol.ora in 8i.
>Not only that, but all 400 ips had to be one one line, which vi
>couldn't handle. (perl rulz).

>On Fri, 06 Oct 2000 00:02:13 +0200, Sybrand Bakker

>>>How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
>>>database?

>>>Thanx.

>>You need to configure the file protocol.ora
>>This file should have
>>tcp.invited_nodes=(....)
>>tcp.excluded_nodes=(...)

>>Hth

>>Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by Andrew Pahomo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Well, in 8.1.6 use after logon trigger and SYS_CONTEXT('USERENV',
'IP_ADDRESS').

P.S.  Under Windows NT protocol.ora setting for restrict ip not working.

> Hi, Is it possible to wild card or use only a portion of a IP address to
> select a range of IP's?

>   Thanks,
> John

> > >How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
> > >database?

> > >Thanx.

> > You need to configure the file protocol.ora
> > This file should have
> > tcp.invited_nodes=(....)
> > tcp.excluded_nodes=(...)

> > Hth

> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

hosts.allow in net8/sqlnet

Post by john kell » Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:06:04

Hi, Is it possible to wild card or use only a portion of a IP address to
select a range of IP's?

        Thanks,
        John

> >How do you implement restricting certain IPs to connect to the
> >database?

> >Thanx.

> You need to configure the file protocol.ora
> This file should have
> tcp.invited_nodes=(....)
> tcp.excluded_nodes=(...)

> Hth

> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

1. REPOST: SQLNet/NET8 Protocol definition,

I need to write my own interface to NET8, is there a description of the
protocol used by NET8 to communicate between the client and the server ?

Thanks in Advance.
S-A>

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:

Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle.misc
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 05:21:33 GMT

This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

2. Data Entry Question

3. SQLNet/NET8 Protocol definition,

4. Connecting to a Paradox 5 database.

5. sqlnet /net8 version compatabilities?

6. Job Request

7. Net8 and SQLNet 2.3 on NT 4.0

8. error 925 please help it is critical

9. ODBC, SQLNET, NET8 Help!

10. Global Names / SqlNet/Net8

11. HPUX-Oracle8: forcing fixed width 2-byte char string over SqlNet/Net8

12. SqlNet and Net8 on the same machine

13. Accessing database via ODBC vs Net8 (sqlnet)