Comparing OLE DB Providers for Oracle - Microsoft Vs Oracle Vs Merant

Comparing OLE DB Providers for Oracle - Microsoft Vs Oracle Vs Merant

Post by Andrew Smi » Wed, 04 Jul 2001 07:50:05

Can someone point me to a paper/link etc that compares these providers?

We are in the process of deciding which provider to use.

We are trying to access Oracle 8.1.7.1 from an ASP (IIS) based application.

Thanks,
AS

Comparing OLE DB Providers for Oracle - Microsoft Vs Oracle Vs Merant

Post by Chris Da » Thu, 05 Jul 2001 00:22:01

AG,

The deciding factor is support and problem resolution. I don't know of
any published papers, although it might be worth checking out the
migration papers on Oracle and MS websites. (Oracle->SQLServer and
SQLServer - Oracle).

Chris

> Can someone point me to a paper/link etc that compares these providers?

> We are in the process of deciding which provider to use.

> We are trying to access Oracle 8.1.7.1 from an ASP (IIS) based application.

> Thanks,
> AS

Comparing OLE DB Providers for Oracle - Microsoft Vs Oracle Vs Merant

Post by Jim Smit » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:25:58

Quote:>Can someone point me to a paper/link etc that compares these providers?

>We are in the process of deciding which provider to use.

>We are trying to access Oracle 8.1.7.1 from an ASP (IIS) based application.

You may not have much choice.   I will depend on your version of IIS
etc., but Microsoft support are insistent that you use MS drivers with
IIS.
--
Jim Smith

1. Unable to connect Oracle using the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

I am unable to connect to my Oracle database (Oracle7 Server Release
7.3.3.0.0). When I try to test my connection I get the following error
message:

"Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider. The
Oracle(tm) client and network components were not found. These components are
supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3. (or
greater) client software installation.

You will be unable to use this provider until these components have been
installed."

I have tried it using the Oracle 7.3.3 and Oracle 8.0 client software, both
didn't work.  I am using: VB6 SP1, WinNT 4.0 SP3, SQL *Net Client 2.3.30.0,
Oracle Net8 Client 8.0.4.0.0 and Oracle TCP/IP adaper 2.3.30.0.

The 'Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers' works fine.

Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,

Fons

2. How much space is TABLE taking up?

3. ADO/OLE DB vs Native vs RDO - Oracle

4. How to have TQuery behaving more like a TTable

5. ODBC provider vs MS SQL provider (OLE DB)

6. DataReport questions, please help ???

7. Performance problem in 7.0

8. ODBC Vs ODBCDirect Vs ADO Vs OLE/DB advise

9. Using Microsoft's OLE-DB Provider against a large Oracle database takes longtime

10. Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle

11. Microsoft --OR-- Oracle OLE DB provider

12. ADO with Microsoft Oracle OLE DB Provider.