Oracle 8i

Post by Yan G » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi! There.  I  am planning to take some ORACLE training courses to
become an ORACLE
developer.  But due to the recent release of ORACLE 8i Beta version, I
am some confused.  I would appreciate it very much if anyone who has
experience with O-8i and knows the answers to my following questions can

drop me a line or two.

1. Is ORACLE 8i =ORACEL8 + enhanced web-related features?  Or in other
words, can O-8i do whatever O-8 can do?  If so, Should I wait to learn
O-8i instead of learning O-8 now since it seems that at least they
differ at the level of file system --will the knowledge of O-8 still
useful for O-8i, if not 100%, approximately how much?

2. Since Desinger 2000 is for Client/server systems, will it be useless
for O-8i which is designed for internet computing?

3. How much or in what kind of aspect will O-8i change the roles of
tools, eg. Developer 2000,  JDeveloper and AppBuilder for Java, in web
applications development?

Thanks in advance for your response to these maybe stupid questions.

Sincerely,

Yan Ge

Oracle 8i

Post by Thomas Ky » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

(if that email address didn't require changing)

>Hi! There.  I  am planning to take some ORACLE training courses to
>become an ORACLE
>developer.  But due to the recent release of ORACLE 8i Beta version, I
>am some confused.  I would appreciate it very much if anyone who has
>experience with O-8i and knows the answers to my following questions can

>drop me a line or two.

>1. Is ORACLE 8i =ORACEL8 + enhanced web-related features?  Or in other
>words, can O-8i do whatever O-8 can do?  If so, Should I wait to learn
>O-8i instead of learning O-8 now since it seems that at least they
>differ at the level of file system --will the knowledge of O-8 still
>useful for O-8i, if not 100%, approximately how much?

Oracle 8i is the next release of Oracle 8.0.  8i can do what 8.0 can do and
more.

Oracle is a rather large product, learning Oracle8.0 right now will give you a
great heads up for 8i.  Everything you learn for 8.0 will apply to 8i -- there
will just be more stuff to learn for 8i after its released.

Quote:>2. Since Desinger 2000 is for Client/server systems, will it be useless
>for O-8i which is designed for internet computing?

D2k is not for client server systems.  D2K can generate HTML based 3 tier
applications, it can generate client server forms applications, it can generate
3 tier WebForms applications as well.  It will not be useless for 8i.  In fact,
it will continue to be very useful -- its not going away (we use it to build our
own network computing based applications)

Quote:>3. How much or in what kind of aspect will O-8i change the roles of
>tools, eg. Developer 2000,  JDeveloper and AppBuilder for Java, in web
>applications development?

not much.  the same tools will apply -- there will be more to choose from is
all.  they all still apply.

Quote:>Thanks in advance for your response to these maybe stupid questions.

not stupid at all.

Quote:>Sincerely,

>Yan Ge

Thomas Kyte

Oracle Government
Herndon VA

--
http://govt.us.oracle.com/    -- downloadable utilities

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you,
you have to make it easy to get email to you.  Any bounced
email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it.

Oracle 8i

Post by Jonathan Genni » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 03:29:25 -0400, Yan Ge

.

Quote:>1. Is ORACLE 8i =ORACEL8 + enhanced web-related features?  Or in other
>words, can O-8i do whatever O-8 can do?

Oracle 8i is a version upgrade. It used to be Oracle 8.1
until recently. The name change was for marketing purposes.
There are a lot of new features, some of them quite
exciting, but it's an evolution of the Oracle 8, not a
different product.

Quote:> If so, Should I wait to learn
>O-8i instead of learning O-8 now since it seems that at least they
>differ at the level of file system --will the knowledge of O-8 still
>useful for O-8i, if not 100%, approximately how much?

Learn Oracle 8. You will lose nothing when Oracle8i comes
out.

Quote:>Thanks in advance for your response to these maybe stupid questions.

Not at all. They weren't stupid. These frequent name changes
can confuse things.

Jonathan