problem in migrating oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.6 using migration untility

problem in migrating oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.6 using migration untility

Post by cc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

everything seems ok by following the steps of using migration utility (on
unix). but finally found that the size for lsnrctl, tnsctl and tnsping in
bin diractory are all zero (0) and therefore i couldn't start listener at
all. i found, some of other executables were renamed to abc0 and a new
version abc was generated by the untility. but what's wrong with the above
three?

thanks,
Chuck

problem in migrating oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.6 using migration untility

Post by Brian Peaslan » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Chuck,

The migration utility should not affect the size of the executables. Did
you install Oracle 8.0.6 software before you ran the mig utility? If so,
then just reinstall the software and you should be good to go.

HTH,
Brian

> everything seems ok by following the steps of using migration utility (on
> unix). but finally found that the size for lsnrctl, tnsctl and tnsping in
> bin diractory are all zero (0) and therefore i couldn't start listener at
> all. i found, some of other executables were renamed to abc0 and a new
> version abc was generated by the untility. but what's wrong with the above
> three?

> thanks,
> Chuck

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center
These opinions are my own and do not
necessarily reflect the opinions of my
company!

problem in migrating oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.6 using migration untility

Post by Jim Gregor » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The migration utility doesn't do anything with these files that I know of.
They should have come into your V8.0.6 ORACLE_HOME/bin from the 8.0.6
install.  Sounds like the V8 install did not work correctly.  Check your
install logs and try to get the files from the CD or from whatever source
that you did the 8.0.6 install from or de-install/re-install v8.0.6 from
scratch.

HTH
--
Jim Gregory
Principal Consultant for Keane, Inc.

Quote:> everything seems ok by following the steps of using migration utility (on
> unix). but finally found that the size for lsnrctl, tnsctl and tnsping in
> bin diractory are all zero (0) and therefore i couldn't start listener at
> all. i found, some of other executables were renamed to abc0 and a new
> version abc was generated by the untility. but what's wrong with the above
> three?

> thanks,
> Chuck

problem in migrating oracle 7.3.4 to 8.0.6 using migration untility

Post by cc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks....re-install 8 and works
Chuck