Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

Post by Joh » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 04:46:50

I'm using Windows 2000 with Oracle 8.1.7.  I install Oracle without
the starter database.  Then run the DB Config Assistant, and choose
custom.  The only changes I make are setting the users into the system
to 200, and checking the archive log box.  The rest I leave alone.  Is
there anything else you need to configure when doing this to setup
things correctly?  Looking at for example the users tablespace,
doesn't look like it's set to automatically increase in size as
needed.

The USERS tablespace thru DBA studio look like the following:

Size: 119552KB at 99.79% full.

Storage Tab:
Initial Size: 128KB
Next Size 128 KB
Minimum Size 128 KB
Increment Size By 0%
Minimum Number 1
Maximum Number/Value 4096

Will these automatically grow as needed?  I'm guessing it will as when
I open up the properties for a particular tablespace, and highlight
the space used, it says "99.78% full with autoextend", but the
settings in the proprties bother me when there are settings like
Increase Size By 0%.

THanks

JR

Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 06:09:38

Quote:>I'm using Windows 2000 with Oracle 8.1.7.  I install Oracle without
>the starter database.  Then run the DB Config Assistant, and choose
>custom.  The only changes I make are setting the users into the system
>to 200, and checking the archive log box.  The rest I leave alone.  Is
>there anything else you need to configure when doing this to setup
>things correctly?  Looking at for example the users tablespace,
>doesn't look like it's set to automatically increase in size as
>needed.

>The USERS tablespace thru DBA studio look like the following:

>Size: 119552KB at 99.79% full.

>Storage Tab:
>Initial Size: 128KB
>Next Size 128 KB
>Minimum Size 128 KB
>Increment Size By 0%
>Minimum Number 1
>Maximum Number/Value 4096

>Will these automatically grow as needed?  I'm guessing it will as when
>I open up the properties for a particular tablespace, and highlight
>the space used, it says "99.78% full with autoextend", but the
>settings in the proprties bother me when there are settings like
>Increase Size By 0%.

>THanks

>JR

Running in custom mode and leaving everything alone doesn't make
sense.
Also you don't want to set a tablespace to autoextend. Once your
datafile hit the maximum limit and/or your disk is full, you really
are in trouble.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

Post by Joh » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:14:34

Thanks.  Can you give me some tips on what I should change in that
case when going thru the assistant?  I picked custom because I was
told that when it asks you for the number of uses, a figure higher
than 150 will configure it automatically for high utilization.

JR

> >I'm using Windows 2000 with Oracle 8.1.7.  I install Oracle without
> >the starter database.  Then run the DB Config Assistant, and choose
> >custom.  The only changes I make are setting the users into the system
> >to 200, and checking the archive log box.  The rest I leave alone.  Is
> >there anything else you need to configure when doing this to setup
> >things correctly?  Looking at for example the users tablespace,
> >doesn't look like it's set to automatically increase in size as
> >needed.

> >The USERS tablespace thru DBA studio look like the following:

> >Size: 119552KB at 99.79% full.

> >Storage Tab:
> >Initial Size: 128KB
> >Next Size 128 KB
> >Minimum Size 128 KB
> >Increment Size By 0%
> >Minimum Number 1
> >Maximum Number/Value 4096

> >Will these automatically grow as needed?  I'm guessing it will as when
> >I open up the properties for a particular tablespace, and highlight
> >the space used, it says "99.78% full with autoextend", but the
> >settings in the proprties bother me when there are settings like
> >Increase Size By 0%.

> >THanks

> >JR

> Running in custom mode and leaving everything alone doesn't make
> sense.
> Also you don't want to set a tablespace to autoextend. Once your
> datafile hit the maximum limit and/or your disk is full, you really
> are in trouble.

> Regards

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:21:07

Quote:> The USERS tablespace thru DBA studio look like the following:

> Size: 119552KB at 99.79% full.

> Storage Tab:
> Initial Size: 128KB
> Next Size 128 KB
> Minimum Size 128 KB
> Increment Size By 0%
> Minimum Number 1
> Maximum Number/Value 4096

> Will these automatically grow as needed?  I'm guessing it will as when
> I open up the properties for a particular tablespace, and highlight
> the space used, it says "99.78% full with autoextend", but the
> settings in the proprties bother me when there are settings like
> Increase Size By 0%.

That's because there are two different attributes that you appear to be
confusing. The one shown above and which applies to the TABLESPACE is called
PCTINCREASE and controls (indirectly) what size of extent will be grabbed by
a database object in that tablespace by default. In your example all objects
will have equal sized extents (of 128k) unless you choose otherwise. This is
because the next extent size for each object increases at 0% (this is what
pctincrease does). If you had pctincrease=100% say then after an extent was
allocated the third extent would be 256k in size (128k + 128*100%) the
fourth 512k (256+256*100%) and so on.

The second attribute applies to an individual DATAFILE and is the autoextent
attribute. if you take a peek at the datafile in the USERS tablespace you'll
find that it has autoextend set (and probably an amount to extend by and a
mximum size). This is used when the file itself becomes full and some space
is requested in it. The datafile will continue to expand unchecked until one
of two things happen.

1) its maxsize is reached and the user whose operation requested the extra
space will get an error message basically saying i can't do that I don't
have enough space

2) The disk is full

Both of these are Bad Things(tm), and who knows might even cause the DBA to
feel a total plonker, and so should be avoided by

1. Not setting autoextend (or setting a max size) and
2. Monitoring datafile usage and free disk space so that more files can be
added (or more disks bought) before the problems raised above.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

1. Unable to run ifs configuration assistant

Hi,

On a Windows NT server I installed IFS 1.1.9. At the end of the
installation there is a message stating installation successful.
However when I attempt to run the configuration assistant by double
clicking on ifsconfig.bat a dos window flashes and that is it.

NT server is a Pentium 4, NT 4.0, Service Pack 6 with 1 GB RAM
Oracle 8.1.7.0.0 is installed on this machine. Oracle and IFS share
the same Oracle home.

How can I get the configuration assistant started?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Dirk

2. missing column data

3. Running management configuration assistant hangs on w2k/9i

4. Farewell

5. 9iR2 DB Configuration Assistant runs out of memory

6. Can it be done in SQL

7. Create a database by Database Configuration Assistant

8. query visibility - trigger order - bug?

9. Database Configuration Assistant

10. 9i Database Configuration Assistant hangs on windows 98

11. Database Configuration Assistant for 8i

12. Database Configuration Assistant?

13. why Database Configuration Assistant hanged at 50%