Designer and UML

Post by Doug Burn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Does anyone know whether Designer supports UML modelling? If not, will
this be available in a future release and when might this be available?

Many thanks,

Doug Burns

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Designer and UML

Post by Frank van Borte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Does anyone know whether Designer supports UML modelling? If not, will
> this be available in a future release and when might this be available?

> Many thanks,

> Doug Burns

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Currently not.
V6.5 or V7, not sure. V6.5 is beta now, expected (you know oracle
expectations, do you :( ) 1Q2000
--
Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

Frank van Bortel
Technical consultant Oracle

Work:                                Home:
----------------------------------   ----------------------------
Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
053-4341500

Designer and UML

Post by Win Ke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

The tool that Oracle ships for UML is ODD (Object Database Designer)...I
believe that this comes with Oracle Designer as a separate tool, but it's not
yet integrated with the Repository...a separate tool.

> > Does anyone know whether Designer supports UML modelling? If not, will
> > this be available in a future release and when might this be available?

> > Many thanks,

> > Doug Burns

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

> Currently not.
> V6.5 or V7, not sure. V6.5 is beta now, expected (you know oracle
> expectations, do you :( ) 1Q2000
> --
> Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

> Frank van Bortel
> Technical consultant Oracle

> Work:                                Home:
> ----------------------------------   ----------------------------
> Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
> Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
> PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
> 053-4341500

Designer and UML

Post by Doug Burn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Thanks all, I'll install Designer and check it out.

If any Oracle folk out there can give me a suggestion about when we
might see the UML version of Designer released, it would be a big help.

Thanks.

Doug

--
Doug Burns

Oracle DBA (certified) and Instructor

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Designer and UML

Post by migo.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

You may want to try WithClass 99.  You can create UML diagrams and
scripts that can create triggers, stored procedures and SQL using
the built in VBA objects.  WithClass also has some reverse engineering
capability for relational databases

A free download is available at http://www.microgold.com

Mike Diamond
Tech Support
MicroGOLD Software Inc.
http://www.microgold.com

> Thanks all, I'll install Designer and check it out.

> If any Oracle folk out there can give me a suggestion about when we
> might see the UML version of Designer released, it would be a big
help.

> Thanks.

> Doug

> > The tool that Oracle ships for UML is ODD (Object Database
> Designer)...I
> > believe that this comes with Oracle Designer as a separate tool, but
> it's not
> > yet integrated with the Repository...a separate tool.

> will
> available?

> > > Currently not.
> > > V6.5 or V7, not sure. V6.5 is beta now, expected (you know oracle
> > > expectations, do you :( ) 1Q2000
> > > --
> > > Met vriendelijke groet/kind regards,

> > > Frank van Bortel
> > > Technical consultant Oracle

> > > Work:                                Home:
> > > ----------------------------------   ----------------------------
> > > Inter Access V&L                     Hunzestraat 4
> > > Palatijn 3, 7521 PN Enschede         7555 WB Hengelo
> > > PoBox 545, 7500 AM Enschede          (31)074-2425046
> > > 053-4341500

> --
> Doug Burns

> Oracle DBA (certified) and Instructor

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. J-UML - OOD (UML) extension for Java

J-UML - OOD (UML) extension for Java

UML (Unified Modeling Language) is the leading OOD/OOA environment,
being nowadays also an ISO standard. Unfortunately Unified Modeling
Language has not been commonly used by many programmers yet.

"J-UML" is not by any means trying to diminish the important value of
language independent modeling. But on the contrary: it tries to build a
bridge - 'adapter' - between these two distant worlds. It tries to
define how to graphically transfer, 'map', the (language independent)
UML models into actual Java implementations.

    http://www.vtt.fi/tte/papers/j-uml/

The specification is open for everyone - to develop and to use.

In most parts "J-UML" - an 'extension' of UML - can be understood as a
subset of UML. However J-UML is totally Java oriented - supporting only
and fully the graphical OOD/OOA of the actual Java source code. J-UML is
a graphical modeling environment for your Java implementations. You can
use J-UML for designing, planning, defining, modelling or just sketching
your Java application structures. On the other hand you can use it for
showing, describing, teaching or learning the structures of Java.

Note also that one very nice consequence of this all is that "JG" -
being a similar 'adapter' for the PDT modeling frameworks (i.e. EXPRESS
based modeling world) - is fully portable with J-UML. This means that
Java (when it should be used of course) could be at last one natural
'meeting point' of these two totally different standard [by ISO]
modeling worlds: UML and EXPRESS(-G). For all the PDM/PDT [Product Data
Technology] Java development projects this would be a major advantage.

But even if "J-UML" could only encourage a tiny little bit the actual
programmers into modelling - and better application design - it would
have already met its' needs.

YOUR COMMENTS, IDEAS, IMPROVEMENTS, CRITISICM ETC OF THIS NEW (OPEN)
SPECIFICATION ARE ESSENTIAL AND WELCOME!

And of course Happy  and Most Creative New Year 1999 for All!!!!

Kari Kaitanen
VTT Information Technology
Multimedia (Java solutions)

2. Data type

3. ER vs UML, disadvantage of UML

4. How to map ResultSet to java type using Oracle Type4 Driver

5. uml, express-g, orm, which order?

6. DOS to Windows

7. UML --> XML Schema

8. Sysindexes and table names

9. UML

10. Postgres to Dia UML

11. uml diagrams of system catalogues

12. tedia2sql (UML ERD-->SQL Converter) Update

13. Visual Basic and the UML