Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Michael Hartm » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
diagramming) tool.

I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
tool?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by J. Troy Tinn » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

Oracle used to have a package called Oracle Designer that came with the
CASE tool pack. I don't know if that is still the case since I haven't
been current with the product.

> I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
> diagramming) tool.

> I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
> when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
> tool?

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Dave W » Sat, 24 May 1997 04:00:00

You can use Oracle Designer/20000. It allows to define and design you
Entity and Relationship in
graphical and visual model. Then it can automatically generate all tables,
indexes, constraints etc.
Dave Wu ( Beijing Oracle Software System Co., Ltd.))
Tel: +86-10-62181155*194
Address; 12, Da Hui Si, Hai Dian District
         Beijing 100081, China

> I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
> diagramming) tool.

> I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
> when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
> tool?

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Graham Murra » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Oracle has a tool called designer/2000.  It let's you do what you require
and a lot more!  (ERD's, DDL creation, Form definition, Form generation,
Web pages, ........).  Look on Oracle's home page for more info.

Graham

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Kevi » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

Designer/2000 is a full featured CASE tool. If you really just want
the table diagramming portion, you may want to look at Oracle's
Database Designer product. Essentially they split out the table
diagraming tool from Designer/2000 into a stand alone product.

Kev

Post by Peter St?lhamma » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

> I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
> diagramming) tool.

> I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
> when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
> tool?

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

ORACLE's DATABASE DESIGNER that looks like a subset of Designer2000.
I think you can download an evaluationcopy from
http://www.oracle.com/products/tools/dbdes/html/download.html.

I have found it very useful when you make ERD-diagrams, you can also
generate scripts and do Reverse enginering.

//Peter
* Peter St?lhammar,Know It M?lardalen   *

* 0705-87 76 30 ,www.knowit.se          *

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Marc Phillip » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

Logic Works  Erwin/ERX    is   significantly better than any tool offered
by Oracle
It has been around longer,  is ifininately more stable,  more user
friendly,  and more feature rich.

Marc Phillips

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Martyn Cavet » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

Designer*2000. . . .

> I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
> diagramming) tool.

> I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
> when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
> tool?

> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Table relationship diagramming tool

ER/Win is a popular tool or also S-Designor from I believe Powersoft now.

Post by Marc Scheun » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

>I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
>diagramming) tool.

We use LogicWorks' ERwin/ERX for that purpose, it allows forward and
reverse engineering and a lot more (setting Oracle physical parameters
and much more).

We're very satisfied with it.

Marc

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Sean Kubovc » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

This demo is fully functional, but, you can only create a db with ten
tables.  Just make multiple db's and merge the scripts that each
create for your main db create script.
Sean

>> I use Oracle and am looking for a good software ERD (entity relationship
>> diagramming) tool.

>> I need a  tool to create table layouts and table relationships visually
>> when planning and designing database systems.   Do you know of any such
>> tool?

>> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

>ORACLE's DATABASE DESIGNER that looks like a subset of Designer2000.
>I think you can download an evaluationcopy from
>http://www.oracle.com/products/tools/dbdes/html/download.html.

>I have found it very useful when you make ERD-diagrams, you can also
>generate scripts and do Reverse enginering.

>//Peter
>--
>* Peter St?lhammar,Know It M?lardalen   *

>* 0705-87 76 30 ,www.knowit.se          *

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Ian Sparke » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Designer/2000 is by far the most powerful tool available for ERD or schema
diagramming (you weren't very specific on which you wanted and they are
very different) on Oracle databases

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Ian Sparke » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

Marc, Please don't take this as an attack but how can you say that Erwin is
more feature rich that Designer/2000 or that it has been around longer.

Dersigner/2000 is the latest version of Oracle's case technology which has
been around since the 80's. Admittedly version 4.0 was not exactly a great
tool but Oracle has been steadily enhancing the product for years.
Designer/2000 is just a new name for a very mature tool.

While Erwin is a good tool and in some environments would be preferable to
Designer/2000 (Typically multi vendor installations ie Oracle & Informix)
it is very limited in functionality by comparison.

Erwin has no support for model based application generation, while
Designer/2000 allows for the generation of  Developer/2000 based
applications as well as Visual Basic. All of which I have used so can
attest that they work well. Another issue is that Erwin (I believe) stores
the definitions of stored procedures/triggers ... as text (to allow them to
be compatible with many platforms). while Des/2000 can do this it is also
possible to store this information as enumerated data which allows for
later impact analysis down to the cursor level within stored objects.

For I don't believe Erwin supports functional modeling at all and BPR
modeling is an additional cost item.

I have also been told (but cannot confirm - maybe you could explain for us)
that Erwin does not differentiate between Logical (ER) and physical
(database shemas) models.

If I am incorrect on this let me know as I would be very interested to
know. Just for reference I have used Erwin and actually consider it a good
tool. The user interface is very similar to Designer/2000 it's just that
for an Oracle environment Designer/2000 fits the need much better IMHO.

Quote:> Logic Works  Erwin/ERX    is   significantly better than any tool offered

Post by Marc Scheun » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

>more feature rich that Designer/2000 or that it has been around longer.

My very personal opinion: Oracle has a good RBDMS, but all the
front-end tools I've seen so far by Oracle suck.

Quote:>While Erwin is a good tool and in some environments would be preferable to
>Designer/2000 (Typically multi vendor installations ie Oracle & Informix)

A very important point, unless your a Oracle-only shop. We use Oracle,
Interbase, SQL Anywhere, PC databases......... Des/2000 won't handle
all this.

Quote:>I have also been told (but cannot confirm - maybe you could explain for us)
>that Erwin does not differentiate between Logical (ER) and physical
>(database shemas) models.

In the current version, it does so only partially, but the upcoming
3.0 release (should be out Real Soon Now) will offer full support of
this. ERwin isn't standing still.......

Marc

Table relationship diagramming tool

Post by Ian Sparke » Thu, 29 May 1997 04:00:00

I don't deny any of that , like I said Erwin is a good tool. My question
was with the statement that it is more feature rich than Designer/2000.

I accept that Logic Works is improving Erwin on a continuous basis, as I
would expect from a good vendor but this does not equate to currently
having more features than Designer/2000 and it certainly has not be around
longer.

The reason I'm bringing this up is that a lot of folks read these posts and
haven't used any tools like these before let alone the tools we are
discussing. How are they supposed to judge relative merits of the answers
when they are seemingly clouded by "religion".

Actually if we got a large Informix or Sybase project I would probably buy
Erwin so I'm not down on the product at all. (Designer/2000 V2 will
probably change my position of this though)