Info on Rman

Post by anan.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
  Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle Recovery
Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Info on Rman

Post by bill.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

One thing to know about RMAN: it doesn't work under linux for 8.1.5.
Or so says Oracle support.

Quote:> Hi,
>   Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle Recovery
> Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Info on Rman

Post by Buck Turgidso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have seen another post similar to this and am wondering what part of RMAN
doesn't work.  I am currently studying for the 8 upgrade OCP exam using
linux.  RMAN seems to work ok.  I can create backup scripts, do image
copies, backup sets, all the commands work, etc.  I haven't got the nerve up
to restore a database for fear of trashing something right before the exam,
but it seems to work on RedHat 5.2 and 8.0.5.

> One thing to know about RMAN: it doesn't work under linux for 8.1.5.
> Or so says Oracle support.

> > Hi,
> >   Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle Recovery
> > Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Info on Rman

Post by bill.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> I have seen another post similar to this and am wondering what part
of RMAN
> doesn't work.

You obviously can get farther with linux RMAN than I can.  I can't even
get it to start. Executing the "rman" command causes it to hang.
Executing "rman nocatalog" results in the message "can't open
nocatalog."

I posted my problem on metalink, and Oracle support got back to me with
this:

17-FEB-00 16:06:11 GMT
This is found in bug: 995765, currently still open with our Development.
At present, RMAN is not fully implemented on Linux.
Please monitor Metalink for resolution to this bug.

I reckoned that "they must know what they're doing. They're
*support*".  Perhaps wrongly.  Any hints?

(btw: I haven't found a way to actually look up this bug on metalink.)

> I have seen another post similar to this and am wondering what part
of RMAN
> doesn't work.  I am currently studying for the 8 upgrade OCP exam
using
> linux.  RMAN seems to work ok.  I can create backup scripts, do image
> copies, backup sets, all the commands work, etc.  I haven't got the
nerve up
> to restore a database for fear of trashing something right before the
exam,
> but it seems to work on RedHat 5.2 and 8.0.5.

Quote:> > One thing to know about RMAN: it doesn't work under linux for 8.1.5.
> > Or so says Oracle support.

> > > Hi,
> > >   Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle
Recovery
> > > Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Info on Rman

Post by Eugene Firyag » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Oracle8.x Backup and Recovery Guide.
http://technet.oracle.com

> Hi,
>   Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle Recovery
> Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

> thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Info on Rman

Post by Jeff Hunte » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

There's also a good article in oramag this month.
(http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/00-Mar/o20rec.html)

> Hi,
>   Can anyone please let me know a good book on RMAN - Oracle Recovery
> Manager, and some suggestions on the product.

> thanks

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. RMAN or not RMAN

I was wondering if RMAN is really used or if DBA's are using shell scripts
to perform backup and recovery.

Are there any real performance improvements to using RMAN.  The big issue
that keeps coming up in the doc that I have read is it can be done in
parallel, but I am not exactly sure what that means since I can always open
another telnet session and recover other datafiles and therfore my recovery
is being done in parallel??

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Thanks,
scott.

2. It just doen't work : Help (Transactional Replication of Stored Proceedures)

3. Exactly what does RMAN store in the control file when RMAN is used without recovery catalog

4. HOW TO ??? store multiple value in a single column...

5. q: veritas(sbt tape) / rman, rman hang ?

6. Functions with Interbase

7. Info on the Freemasons, if your not religious great info

8. Ado.source and union

9. info-ingres info

10. subscribe info-ingres info-ingres@ecn.mass.edu

11. Info wanted on Info-Lease/Decision Systems Inc

12. Info-Vmark list now Info-Ardent

13. q: rman - append datetime for rman log file name in nt ?