scrollable cursors with OCI ?

Post by BOVBO » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello !!

I know there are scrollable cursors with ODBC but
they are slow because they cache all data on the client.

Are there any scrollable cursors built in Oracle server itself?

Thanks.

Post by Joel R. Kallm » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hello !!

>I know there are scrollable cursors with ODBC but
>they are slow because they cache all data on the client.

>Are there any scrollable cursors built in Oracle server itself?

There are scrollable cursors built into Oracle and the Oracle Call
Interface, as long as you want to scroll forward. :)  OCI in Oracle8
8.0 only supports the "orientiation" of OCI_FETCH_NEXT in the call
OCIStmtFetch().

There are ODBC drivers that support a myriad of fetch options in the
ODBC SQLFetchScroll call (SQL_FETCH_FIRST, SQL_FETCH_NEXT,
SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE, SQL_FETCH_RELATIVE, etc.), but the way these are
most often implemented is by caching all of the data of a result set
(as you described).

Quote:

>Thanks.

Thanks!

Joel

Joel R. Kallman
Oracle Government, Education, & Health
Columbus, OH                             http://govt.us.oracle.com

----
The statements and opinions expressed here are my own
and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation.