Please help - Oracle, ODBC and Visual Basic

Please help - Oracle, ODBC and Visual Basic

Post by Chunangad S. Srira » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I could get my Personal Oracle7 tables to open from Visual Basic by
using the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle with the data source name as
local and no connect string. I could see that this ODBC driver was
different from the Oracle ODBC driver for Rdb (remote databases) in the
Control Panels which could be configured with a connecting string '2:',
data source name : 'Frayed Wires' and only this Microsoft driver could
help me open my Oracle tables through Visual Basic.

But I still have the problem - when I frame a query and try to execute
it in the SQL window of the Visdata program (for example on 'Scott.emp'
table), it looks for 'Scott.mdb' and not the Oracle table and hence I am
not able to execute it. However, the Data Form Designer works and I can
read, update, add, delete, refresh records in this 'Scott.emp' file with
the buttons and data control in the form opened through the 'Data Form
Designer'.

How do I get my queries to recognize the Oracle tables and execute in
the SQL Window of Visdata ? Do help me with anything you know about
this.

Sriram

1. Please help - Oracle, ODBC and Visual Basic

I could get my Personal Oracle7 tables to open from Visual Basic by
using the Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle with the data source name as
local and no connect string. I could see that this ODBC driver was
different from the Oracle ODBC driver for Rdb (remote databases) in the
Control Panel which could be configured with a connecting string '2:',
data source name : 'Frayed Wires' and only this Microsoft driver could
help me open my Oracle tables through Visual Basic.

But I still have the problem - when I frame a query and try to execute
it in the SQL window of the Visdata program (for example on 'Scott.emp'
table), it looks for 'Scott.mdb' and not the Oracle table and hence I am
not able to execute it. However, the Data Form Designer works and I can
read, update, add, delete, refresh records in this 'Scott.emp' file with
the buttons and data control in the form opened through the 'Data Form
Designer'.

How do I get my queries to recognize the Oracle tables and execute in
the SQL Window of Visdata ? Do help me with all that you know about
this.

Sriram

2. Powerbuilder with OLE->Lotus Notes (Outlook)

3. Please Help - Oracle, ODBC, Visual Basic

4. Licensing issues

5. WA-SEATTLE-252667--Visual Basic-ODBC-SQLSERVER-ORACLE-WAN-VISUAL BASIC APPLICATION DEVELOPER

6. Advanced Databases Course at La Trobe University

7. Visual Basic Pro and the VisData sample (ODBC help please)

8. Updating MULTIPLE tables through VIEWS

9. IL-CHICAGO-138941--Visual Basic-SQLSERVER-RDBMS-ORACLE-Management-Visual Foxpro-Visual Basic Developer

10. OH-CINCINNATI-105470--Visual Basic-ORACLE-Visual C++-MFC-OOD-Visual Basic Programmer