Other user table reference in database package

Other user table reference in database package

Post by Richard Foot » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:21:18

Hi Jaap,

A couple of points:

Point 1)

Oracle has bother to document this. A search in the Concepts manual
(which took me all of 38 seconds, I set timing on) found this in the
Introduction to Roles: "..roles are not meant to be used for application
developers, because the privileges to access schema objects within
stored programmatic constructs need to be granted directly".

Further on when discussing roles in the PL/SQL Blocks and Roles section,
there is a discussion on this very subject that describes it very
clearly. "All roles are disabled in any named PL/SQL block (stored
procedure, function or trigger) that executes with definer rights" is
one such quote.

It *IS* clearly and concisely documented in the first (and most obvious)
place I looked !!

Point 2)

It is posting etiquette to at least make some attempt to solve a problem
and search the google archives in case the question has been asked
before. This serves a dual purpose. Firstly, subscribers of the NG don't
have to download the same question again and again and perhaps more
importantly, the poster is very likely to find the answer more quickly
in the archives than waiting for an answer to arrive. A quick search on
this subject (roles procedure privileges) in google found 1,280 hits,
the first 50 of which (all I bothered to check) *all* had the answer to
this question.

Don't worry too much if you don't find my joke funny, few do :)

Cheers

Richard

> On Fri, 09 Aug 2002 17:17:44 +1000, Richard Foote

> >Hey, why not make it a competition. The letter which answer's this
> >question the fastest becomes the letter of the year !!
> You may make it into a joke, but is far as I know Oracle never
> bothered to document this not so obvious restriction in it's official
> manuals, and this is in my opinion what makes people stumble over this
> again and again.

> Jaap.

  Richard.Foote.vcf
< 1K Download

Other user table reference in database package

Post by Jaap W. van Di » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 17:56:57

On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:21:18 +1000, Richard Foote
Quote:

>Point 1)
>It *IS* clearly and concisely documented in the first (and most obvious)
>place I looked !!

>Don't worry too much if you don't find my joke funny, few do :)

Point 1): Silly me! I tried to find it in the PLSQL User's Guide and
Reference. Point taken.

Do you have proof of people not finding your jokes funny? I like them,
even in this thread, so don't be discouraged.

Jaap.

Other user table reference in database package

Post by Howard J. Roger » Sun, 11 Aug 2002 21:19:53

I volunteer as witness for the prosecution!

;-)
HJR

> On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:21:18 +1000, Richard Foote

> >Point 1)
> >It *IS* clearly and concisely documented in the first (and most obvious)
> >place I looked !!

> >Don't worry too much if you don't find my joke funny, few do :)

> Point 1): Silly me! I tried to find it in the PLSQL User's Guide and
> Reference. Point taken.

> Do you have proof of people not finding your jokes funny? I like them,
> even in this thread, so don't be discouraged.

> Jaap.

Other user table reference in database package

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:29:38

shucks and I thought it was the popular culture references you found
tiresome. Unless you are classifying Bowie as a joke :-(

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

> I volunteer as witness for the prosecution!

> ;-)
> HJR

> > On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 14:21:18 +1000, Richard Foote

> > >Point 1)
> > >It *IS* clearly and concisely documented in the first (and most
obvious)
> > >place I looked !!

> > >Don't worry too much if you don't find my joke funny, few do :)

> > Point 1): Silly me! I tried to find it in the PLSQL User's Guide and
> > Reference. Point taken.

> > Do you have proof of people not finding your jokes funny? I like them,
> > even in this thread, so don't be discouraged.

> > Jaap.

1. Finding Tables Referenced in DTS Packages

I'm running a number of DTS packages in a hierarchical structure.  I
think one of the tables that used to be used by one of these packages
is no longer used.  I'd like to search the dts info for a reference to
a particular table name but I've no idea how to do it.  I would like
to avoid dropping the table and then waiting to see what fails!  Can
anyone help?

Andy.

2. Massachusetts - Oracle Pre-Sales Engineer

3. Referencing table in another schema from package definition

4. Is cascade deleting implemented in 7.0?

5. Referencing DTS package name from within the DTS package

6. PL/SQL error

7. TRIGGERS referencing <different user> table

8. How can I publish a snapshot off a table with Foreign Keys to others tables

9. Linking Access Tables in Different *.mdb Files, Populating an Access Table From Several Others

10. drop all user tables in a user database?

11. Update query blocks others users

12. Validating users from others OS?