HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Carl Waldro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
about mounting database files across a network.

Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

Please direct all answers to the NG's.

Thanks,

Carl

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

 Carl,

 > I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me

Quote:> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

 MSCS doesn't support network attached databases...

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Don't Bothe » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Carl,

I've been looking into buying a NetApp filer for a second site and have
been putting many hours into talking with Oracle users who run it in
production.

I was also asking them the same question about an NFS type filesystem.
Everyone said thier seek access improved by using the NetApp filer
since the filesystems reside on the filer and the the OS.

If you want, I can ask my Netapp Rep to provide you with some Oracle
sites running it.

David Knollhoff

Quote:> Hi all,

--
Cry on someones elses shoulder

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Carl Waldro » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Neil,

According to the Network Appliance white papers you can configure a
"mapped-drive" cluster resource in combination with batch-files that
allow you to use network attached databases with MSCS.

Thanks for the reply, but I'm looking for answers from some one who is
actually doing this...

-Carl

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000 14:27:01 +0100, Neil Pike

> Carl,

> > I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
>> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
>> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

> MSCS doesn't support network attached databases...

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> Reply here - no email
> SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
> http://forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
> or www.ntfaq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?DepartmentID=800
> or www.sqlserverfaq.com
> or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Joe Malone » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am not sure what you mean by NetApp filer, but I have 4 instances
that are do NFS mounts to a 5th box for selected tablespace files. Is
this what you mean?

--
Joseph R.P. Maloney, CCP,CSP,CDP
MPiR, Inc.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Post by Joe Luchtenber » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 00:30:05

Yes, there are people out there using filers for MS SQL Server and Oracle
production databases.  You raise some of the issues that need to be
addressed if you consider a NAS architecture for this purpose.  If you
want to get replies from folks who are actually doing this, I would
suggest you post to the toasters newsgroup.  This is a discussion group of
NetApp administrators -- it is very active and there are some very
experienced, well-informed folks out there who are not affiliated with
NetApp or a reseller (like me) who can help answer your questions.  Check
out their archive at:
http://teaparty.mathworks.com:1999/toasters/index.html#3870
Post your questions to:

HTH.  Joe

Joe Luchtenberg
Account Manager
Dataline, Ic.
www.data-line.com

> Hi all,

> I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
> Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
> environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
> Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
> about mounting database files across a network.

> Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
> you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
> the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

> I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
> even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
> the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

> Please direct all answers to the NG's.

> Thanks,

> Carl

1. HELP: SQL databases on Network Appliance filers (Oracle and/or Microsoft)

Hi all,

I am trying to find out if anyone out there is using a Network
Appliance filer to host their SQL database(s) in a production
environment.   We are looking into this as a solution for our
Microsoft *and* Oracle databases, but I have serious reservations
about mounting database files across a network.

Is anyone out there doing this?  If so, what are some of the issues
you have experienced?  Problems?  Success stories?  Are you happy with
the combination?  Is there any danger of data corruption?

I am also running MSCS (kinda forgot to mention that) which makes me
even more nervous about network-attaching my databases.  I have read
the Microsoft Kbase article about Trace Flag 1807...

Please direct all answers to the NG's.

Thanks,

Carl

2. SQL Workstation 6.5

3. MS Office Applications Tourist industry?

4. Oracle on Network Appliance's Netapp Filer

5. LIKE this or LIKE that

6. Network Appliance's Netapp Filer and Oracle

7. Concatenate Month-Year

8. Network Appliance filers SQL

9. Network Appliance filers and SQL Server 7.0

10. SQL 2000 running on a Network Appliance 820 filer

11. Network Appliance filers SQL