Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by James C. Le » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

Continuing on the thread of NT vs. UNIX, how about NT vs. Solaris x86?I
think most people would agree that Solaris Sparc is probably the best
platform for large deployements, and that maintenance and administration
is easier in UNIX in general, thus Solaris x86. But how about:

1. Data integrity
2. Crashes
3. Reliability in general

The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

We have a low budget and need an Oracle box 7x24. The cheapest solution
for now would be an Intel box, which means NT or Solaris x86.

^James

Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by Craig Shave » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> Continuing on the thread of NT vs. UNIX, how about NT vs. Solaris x86?I
> think most people would agree that Solaris Sparc is probably the best
> platform for large deployements, and that maintenance and administration
> is easier in UNIX in general, thus Solaris x86. But how about:

> 1. Data integrity
> 2. Crashes
> 3. Reliability in general

> The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
> What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

I have had good luck with Oracle 7 on solaris 2.5.1 x86, but I have not
pressed it hard yet.  The installation was a *, and most of the
problems with installation are Oracle's fault.  Email or post for help
if you go that route.  Hint -- don't use solaris ISS or motif installer.

From first and second hand experience, I get the impression that NT is
not very reliable.  I have seen NT backend servers crash for no apparent
reason, and cannot get a decent indication of the cause.

Quote:

> We have a low budget and need an Oracle box 7x24. The cheapest solution
> for now would be an Intel box, which means NT or Solaris x86.

> ^James

Buy good equipment if you go with intel boxes.

--

Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088

Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by Mubashir Chee » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
>What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

Our main server http://www.sparco.com/ is a dual Pentium PRO 200MHz with 256MB
memory and 9GB of disk space.  It is running Solaris X86 and Oracle7 Server
Release 7.3.2.2.0.  The system has been up for over a month.  We only have to
shut it down for hardware upgrades.  This is a fairly busy system and has shown
to take the heat very well.

Quote:>We have a low budget and need an Oracle box 7x24. The cheapest solution
>for now would be an Intel box, which means NT or Solaris x86.

We use NT on some client machines only.  I personally have been a big fan of NT
in the past,  now I try to avoid it for any mission critical applications.

Mubashir Cheema

Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by Robert Alten » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

I do not know a lot about UNIX or about SolarisX86. So until now
these threads on "Unix vs NT" and now "SolarisX86 vs NT" were just
funny reading. There are however two statements that popped up in these
threads that do not apply to the DB's I am administring now:

Quote:>> The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
>> What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

I've got two Oracle DB's under my hood(7.1.x and 7.2.x): both 7x24,
one is in production over a year now. The other a few months. No OS-
crashes so far. I'm quite curious as to how you guys manage to
crash an NT-server (here I use 3.51) at such regular intervals.

Then there were some remarks like 'You can't send E-mail from NT'

It does not take a lot of time and programming to write a small
program (script..??) that collects data from a DB, stuffs it in
a Spreadsheet (or word-processor, or whatever) and mails that file
to the users.

And last but not least there is the notion that a new DB cannot be
created under NT. To this there is just one reply: RTFM
(the ones that come with Oracle)

       Robert Altena

Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by t.. » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

: I have had good luck with Oracle 7 on solaris 2.5.1 x86, but I have not
: pressed it hard yet.  The installation was a *, and most of the
: problems with installation are Oracle's fault.  Email or post for help
: if you go that route.  Hint -- don't use solaris ISS or motif installer.

I found the install to be a breeze, certainly no harder than the install on
any other platform. I never use the motif tools as I don't find them too
reliable on all the platforms I use.

: Buy good equipment if you go with intel boxes.

Very good advice and don't skimp on the memory. I'm running a mixed Sol x86
and NT4.0 environment at home for development purposes and have found that
both databases work OK for my needs - few connections, small-medium amounts
of data and the odd time when the server is hit hard.

One saving grace with NT is that the DBI/DBD modules for PERL5 are now
available so we can all write Oraperl(esque) scripts - yipee !

IAP
--
In an attempt to reduce junk email I use an invalid 'From' address.
My correct email address can can be determined by replacing 'not.valid' with

Oracle Solaris x86 vs. NT

Post by Jim Reynol » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

>> The concesus seems that NT boxes can't stay up past a week (or less).
>> What's your experience? How about Solaris x86?

Sadly enough, we had pretty much the same result (miserable) with Solaris
x86 running Oracle Workgroup Server v7.3. The database would crash every
night, and the PMON and SMON processes would mysteriously die off under
heavy activity.

It was running on a loaded Pentium Pro server from Micron-- 512MB RAM,
SCSI, 100 Base-T Ethernet, etc... Evevn though Micron is one of the
top brands rated by different PC magazines, we found that their hardware
wasn't quite up-top-snuff for the demanding environment we had it in.

The OS itself was fairly stable, although we did have a few crashes of
that as well. Thus far on Sun, everything's been golden.

Quote:>> We have a low budget and need an Oracle box 7x24. The cheapest solution
>> for now would be an Intel box, which means NT or Solaris x86.

Look at a Sun Ultra. Some of the slower models (167Mhz and lower) can be
had fairly well equipped for less than $10,000. You'll be happy; your
users will be happy; and most of all, your database will be happy.  :-)

Quote:>Buy good equipment if you go with intel boxes.

Good equipment. No Packard Bell or AST. Try stuff from Compaq and NCR.
Databases are _very_ sensitive to the hardware they run on-- any tiny
incompatibilities between the mismash of vendors that make up the PC
machine will cause havoc. We use all Sun hardware-- drives, chassis,
memory, disk arrays, everything... In the world of high reliability,
generic is not the same!!

1. RedHat Linux X86 and Oracle 7.3 X86 Solaris

Hello,

  I have RedHat Linux for X86.  I also have Oracle7.3 server for solaris X86.

 I would like to know if anyone has installed Oracle7.3 X86 solaris on RedHat
or any other Linux machine.

  If so, what type of Linux?
  Are there any tweaks that I have to do on the installation of Oracle?
  Any Linux patches or programs/add-ons that I need to install?

  etc...

  This would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas

2. DB Question/Field from Table

3. Solaris x86 vs Linux vs *BSD for PostgreSQL?

4. Are "If" statements possible in SQL ???

5. oracle 8.0 for solaris sparc under solaris x86?

6. Transaction and update-method of the recordset object

7. OAS vs X86 Solaris 2.6

8. Oracle To Accelerate Its Move Onto The Web - NEWS.COM

9. GA-Atlanta-261131--ORACLE-UNIX-Solaris-SUN-Windows NT-Database Administrator (DBA)-Oracle/UNIX/Solaris

10. Oracle Server on Solaris vs application on NT

11. Oracle on NT vs. Solaris

12. Oracle - Solaris vs NT