Migrate from 7.2.3 to 8.0 using Migrate Utility or Export/Import

Migrate from 7.2.3 to 8.0 using Migrate Utility or Export/Import

Post by Rob Rebman » Thu, 11 Dec 1997 04:00:00

We plan on migrating from 7.2.3 to 8.0.3 in the next month and have
approximately 1 month allocated to perform the migration. We have 1
production and 4 test instances to migrate.
I would be interested to hear which migration strategy other Oracle
customers have taken, why and what your experience was.
We do not plan on exploiting any of the new features supplied with Oracle8
at this time as we do not feel we can migrate, investigate and implement
the new features in a one month time frame.

Our environment
RS6000/J50
8 CPUs
2 gigs memory
AIX   4.2
33 GB of data

If we choose the Export/Import route we predict an elapsed time of about 36
hours to complete just the Export/Import. Our largest table consumes
330,000 8k blocks.

Post by Milan Vor » Tue, 16 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> We plan on migrating from 7.2.3 to 8.0.3 in the next month and have
> approximately 1 month allocated to perform the migration. We have 1
> production and 4 test instances to migrate.
> I would be interested to hear which migration strategy other Oracle
> customers have taken, why and what your experience was.
> We do not plan on exploiting any of the new features supplied with Oracle8
> at this time as we do not feel we can migrate, investigate and implement
> the new features in a one month time frame.

> Our environment
> RS6000/J50
> 8 CPUs
> 2 gigs memory
> AIX   4.2
> 33 GB of data

> If we choose the Export/Import route we predict an elapsed time of about 36
> hours to complete just the Export/Import. Our largest table consumes
> 330,000 8k blocks.

Migrating is the best solution.it is very fast as oracle 8 doesn't need
to touch the data but just re-write the tables ...info
We have used it and it is working fine.
let me know if u have other questions.
Milan Vora

1. Using export to migrate data

I need to use export to move multiple tablespaces from 8.0.4 to 8i.  I need
to move each tablespace one at a time.  Is there a way I can remove update,
delete, and insert capabilities on the tablespace while still preserving
select privileges?  From my understanding, the create session privilege
gives update and insert privileges.  Any help is appreciated.

--

Matt Skeens
XNet Information Systems

2. Binary(cobol comp-3) data from Oracle

3. Migrating Oracle 8.0 to Sqlserver 7.0

4. Help required on using JDBC with SQL Server

5. Migrating from Ora EE 7.0 on Unix to Ora EE 8.0 on WinNT/2000

6. Freeware SQL For Macintosh?

7. Should we migrate to Oracle 8.0???

8. DBA Interview questions.

9. Best utility to migrate data to diff dbspaces?

10. Need Help exporting/migrating sql7 database

11. Exporting/migrating diagrams SQL2000

12. Extracting/Exporting/Migrating from ORACLE AR to IBM Mainframe GEAC