installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP

Post by Armen Markari » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:16:11

Hello,

I am trying to insatll Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP running on Pentium 4 with
256 ram. When I hit the Install button, the hourglass cursor appears for a
short period of time (2-5 seconds), and then the installation progarm
disappears.

Any idea what the problem might be.

Thanks

installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP

Post by cf » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:26:20

Bug with pentium 4.

Please refer to MetaLink
http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?...
ase_id=NOT&p_id=131299.1.

Easiest workaround is to:

- Copy your CD-ROMs to the harddisk.
- Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
- Run the installation from the harddisk (Disk1\install\win32\setup.exe).

Christophe.

Quote:> Hello,

Post by Daniel Morga » Wed, 25 Sep 2002 00:39:01

> Hello,

> I am trying to insatll Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP running on Pentium 4 with
> 256 ram. When I hit the Install button, the hourglass cursor appears for a
> short period of time (2-5 seconds), and then the installation progarm
> disappears.

> Any idea what the problem might be.

> Thanks

A Pentium 4 bug addressed in these usenet groups hundreds of times so far this
year. Either search at the group archives at google.com or go to
http://otn.oracle.com and look up the work-around.

Daniel Morgan

installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP

Post by TurkBea » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 00:24:33

The other problem ( besides the well known P4 issue)  you may have is that this is not a supported combination unless you
have XP Pro ...

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP

Post by Ariel Quintan » Thu, 26 Sep 2002 01:36:30

I was just looking for a solution for the same problem since the one I found
directly at Oracle didn't work for me (i.e. changing some parameters in a
script to provide an explicit path)

After renaming the file as suggested by Christophe the installation
proceeded without a problem.

FYI - my installation includes Pentium 4 and Windows XP.

Thanks !!!
Ariel Quintana

Quote:> Bug with pentium 4.

> Please refer to MetaLink

http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showDocument?...
> ase_id=NOT&p_id=131299.1.

> Easiest workaround is to:

> - Copy your CD-ROMs to the harddisk.
> - Rename each copy of the symcjit.dll to symcjit.old.
> - Run the installation from the harddisk (Disk1\install\win32\setup.exe).

> Christophe.

> > Hello,

> > I am trying to insatll Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP running on Pentium 4
> with
> > 256 ram. When I hit the Install button, the hourglass cursor appears for
> > short period of time (2-5 seconds), and then the installation progarm
> > disappears.

> > Any idea what the problem might be.

> > Thanks

1. Installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP ...

Hope somebody can help me:

Trying the above - installing Oracle 8.1.7 on Windows XP. I got this working
fine on
one machine, but on another I'm getting a message that says the current user
does not have enough permissions to access the registry (this is when I run
the installer). Does anyone know
how to correct this? The user in question is the administrator user, and can
certainly access the registry - using regedit at any rate. Unlike Windows
NT/2000, there seems to be no tool on XP that allows finer grain of
adjusting the permissions of the user. All I can do is set the user type to
either "Administartor" or "Normal".

Thanks in advance,
David.

2. upload file from client

3. SQL2000 Desktop Install Failure on Windows XP from Office XP

4. BCP

5. Install Windows 2000 after windows xp

6. XP_SendMail error

7. Oracle 8.1.6 install on Windows XP ?

8. "P2P" merge replication -- possible?

9. Cannot connect to SQL Server (7) after installing Windows XP

10. Problem while connecting to Analysis Server installed on Windows XP

11. MSDE will not install correctly in Windows XP

12. installing sql server on Windows XP

13. cannot install SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP home edition