LONG fields in Oracle

Post by Kenneth Jense » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:16:52

Hi all.

I have made an ODBC connection to my Oracle 8i 8.1.7 database, and I want to
create the structure using DDL through this. The only problem is that I am
told that there is an error, because there are more than one LONG fields in
a table. I guess the error comes from the ODBC driver, for is it not true
that the newer versions of Oracle can handle many LONGs per table? Is it a
bug in the ODBC driver?

By the way, I use Microsoft Visio 2000 SR1 to create the DDL.

Yours Sincerely
Kenneth Jensen

LONG fields in Oracle

Post by Rafal Jan » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 18:45:57

> Hi all.

> I have made an ODBC connection to my Oracle 8i 8.1.7 database, and I want to
> create the structure using DDL through this. The only problem is that I am
> told that there is an error, because there are more than one LONG fields in
> a table. I guess the error comes from the ODBC driver, for is it not true
> that the newer versions of Oracle can handle many LONGs per table? Is it a
> bug in the ODBC driver?

It's not a bug in ODBC. There can be only one long field in a table
Rafal

LONG fields in Oracle

Post by Niall Litchfiel » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:16:47

Quote:> Hi all.

> I have made an ODBC connection to my Oracle 8i 8.1.7 database, and I want
> create the structure using DDL through this. The only problem is that I am
> told that there is an error, because there are more than one LONG fields
in
> a table. I guess the error comes from the ODBC driver, for is it not true
> that the newer versions of Oracle can handle many LONGs per table? Is it a
> bug in the ODBC driver?

No. There can be only one long per table. There can be multiple LOB fields.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

1. ADO 2.0 does not work with Long field in Oracle

Environment: VB Professional 5.0 in Windows 95
                       Oracle Client 7.3.3 or 8.03
                       Oracle ODBC Driver 8.03
                        OLE DB 2.0
Syntax:  If the select statement contains long field , it will return some
unspecified error.
Example:
               rs.Open "select  memo_field from table1 ", ado_db

2. ADO / RDO / DAO - Performance related issues

3. How to query MEMO(LONG) field in Oracle?

4. Is there any way to print an Acces report from a VB button?

5. long fields in oracle 7.3.2

6. Informix IDS 7.30.UC5 on Linux

7. perl and long fields in oracle

8. Fastest Machine For Progress ?

9. long fields in oracle 7.3.2

10. Returning LONG fields from Oracle in ADO 2.6

11. Help! access to a LONG field in ORACLE 8 via RDO/ODBC

12. ?CAN′T ADO RETRIEVE FROM ORACLE, FIELDS WHICH DATATYPE IS LONG (IN ORACLE)

13. Oracle LONG field