Looking for command to execute database procedure

Looking for command to execute database procedure

Post by anasuya_shu.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:17:26

Hi ,

  Is there anyway to run an Oracle database procedure on
a Unix box without invoking SQLPlus ?
I want to execute this procedure in a shell script.

Thanks

Ana

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Mike Krolewsk » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 05:30:54

> Hi ,

>   Is there anyway to run an Oracle database procedure on
> a Unix box without invoking SQLPlus ?
> I want to execute this procedure in a shell script.

> Thanks

> Ana

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

You must execute SQL within some sort of environment. The simplist one
is SQLPlus which can be executed from within a shell, with appropriate
arguements / files. Read up on running scripts from files in SQLPlus.

Similarly, you could run SQL in other environments like perl and C/C++
and tcl. There require more coding and organization, but can prove a
more robust response to queries. Of course these can be called from
within a shell.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

              Ususual disclaimers

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Galen Boye » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:40:43

>   Is there anyway to run an Oracle database procedure on
> a Unix box without invoking SQLPlus ?
> I want to execute this procedure in a shell script.

Why the restriction against sqlplus?
--
Galen Boyer
Fingers and toes, fingers and toes, forty things we share.

Looking for command to execute database procedure

Post by R. Steven Brow » Wed, 27 Dec 2000 06:42:46

You can use an Oracle language pre-compiler, such as Pro-C, SQLJ (my
favorite) or you can use PERL with the DatabaseAccess module. There may be
others. I like SQLJ because it uses java, which is ubiquitous on most Unix
machines, and it take just a little programming knowledge to embed a call to
a stored procedure.

Steve Brown
Senior Oracle DBA

Quote:> Hi ,

>   Is there anyway to run an Oracle database procedure on
> a Unix box without invoking SQLPlus ?
> I want to execute this procedure in a shell script.

> Thanks

> Ana

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Looking for command to execute database procedure

Post by bgbgb » Thu, 28 Dec 2000 20:02:51

Ana,

maybe this is not what you want but you can run sqlplus from
a shell script fi that solves your problem e.g.

#! /bin/ksh
sqlplus system/manager << EOF
execute my_proc
exit
EOF

the << EOF tells the shell to keep executing commands
until you hit EOF so you can execute the above commands within
sqlplus and then EOF terminates the section. you can continue
executing shell commands afterwards

rgds
brian

> You can use an Oracle language pre-compiler, such as Pro-C, SQLJ (my
> favorite) or you can use PERL with the DatabaseAccess module. There may be
> others. I like SQLJ because it uses java, which is ubiquitous on most Unix
> machines, and it take just a little programming knowledge to embed a call
> a stored procedure.

> Steve Brown
> Senior Oracle DBA

> > Hi ,

> >   Is there anyway to run an Oracle database procedure on
> > a Unix box without invoking SQLPlus ?
> > I want to execute this procedure in a shell script.

> > Thanks

> > Ana

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

1. Executing and OS command from a database trigger or stored procedure

--------------7CB9C33436F291FFDBF067B2

Anyone have experience submitting external OS commands directly from a
database trigger or stored procedure???   We're trying to simulate the
host command in a v3 SQL*Form from within a Java Applet.

RDBMS - 7.1.3.2.0
OS         - Open VMS v6.2

Thanks

--------------7CB9C33436F291FFDBF067B2

begin:          vcard
fn:             Art Decker
n:              Decker;Art
org:            Bronson Resource Group

x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------7CB9C33436F291FFDBF067B2--

2. DBGrid Problem

3. Execution of Procedure: EXECUTE method or Command object ?

4. OSF DCE Conf. Brochure on WWW- Boston, MA- August 21-23, 1995- IEIQM01

5. execute sql command which is stored in table from procedure

6. Get ONLY the date with (getdate())

7. accessing stored procedure return value using ADO (2.0) command execute method

8. SQL Mail (On SQL Server 7, SP - 3) Problem

9. Executing DOS commands from an SQL procedure

10. error while executing store procedure command

11. Executing a Stored Procedure from a command line

12. ? Executing a Stored Procedure With Output Parameters and A Resul tset using a Command Object

13. calling stored procedures that execute many commands before the final select