How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table through PL/SQL?

How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table through PL/SQL?

Post by armag.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, dear friends,

How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table
through PL/SQL?

Thanks and best regards,

SQL Link for XL 1.5. A free tool to integrate Databases with XL.
http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/8484/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table through PL/SQL?

Post by Thomas Ky » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

(if that email address didn't require changing)

>Hi, dear friends,

>How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table
>through PL/SQL?

>Thanks and best regards,

>SQL Link for XL 1.5. A free tool to integrate Databases with XL.
>http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/8484/

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

They are already there:

SQL> exec dbms_output.put_line( sqlerrm( -1403 ) );
ORA-01403: no data found

sqlerrm returns the last error you encountered OR if you pass it an error code
-- it gives you the error text for that message.

--
See http://govt.us.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to Oracle8i'...
Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated June 21'st

Oracle Service Industries     Reston, VA   USA

How can I generate all Oracle DBMS error messages and store in a table through PL/SQL?

Post by Kenneth C Stah » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

One problem is that there is no real sense in which you could ever
generate "all" messges. A couple reasons:

1. The only messages that are ever relevant are those for which you have
the products installed.
2. Some of the messages are completed at runtime and only have
placesavers. If you want to see the raw messages then just have a
counter that counts from 1 to 99999 and pass the value to sqlerrm() in
pl/sql, but I doubt that you would be happy with the results.

Ken