Need to update init file for rollback segment?

Need to update init file for rollback segment?

Post by Tan Aik Khoo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,

Sorry. Though I have work with oracle 8.0.5 for almost one year, I have
not attended any course. Most information is pick up myself. However
recently I encounter a statement in a Oracle guide book stating that once
I create rollback segments, I should include their names in the init file to
allow the database to know it exists. How far is this true, because all the
while I did
not do that. Btw my transactions are using very large that's why I create
large rollback segments for them to use. If I do not put the statements in,
will it default to certain tablespace's rollback segment? If so, what
possible error might occur.

TIA,
Paul

Need to update init file for rollback segment?

Post by Sybrand Bakke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Public rollback segments are 'grabbed' by the instance automatically,
private rollback segments need to be in init.ora or they will not be used.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Quote:> Hi,

> Sorry. Though I have work with oracle 8.0.5 for almost one year, I have
> not attended any course. Most information is pick up myself. However
> recently I encounter a statement in a Oracle guide book stating that once
> I create rollback segments, I should include their names in the init file
> allow the database to know it exists. How far is this true, because all
the
> while I did
> not do that. Btw my transactions are using very large that's why I create
> large rollback segments for them to use. If I do not put the statements
in,
> will it default to certain tablespace's rollback segment? If so, what
> possible error might occur.

> TIA,
> Paul

1. can I update data without using rollback segment?

I have to update a table with 1000,000 records and all records will be
affected.
The rollback segments problem always troubles me. I know that using a
large rollback segment will solve this problem but the speed will be
too slow.
but I still want know if oracle support a
method to update data without rollback segment. I am sure the updating
process will be exclusive.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Parameter query in Query Analyzer for SQLServer 2000?

3. After sp2 Profiler stops get NT User name

4. rollback segment "NEEDS RECOVERY"

5. How to tell DB was updated?

6. Is it better to drop a rollback segment and recreate it instead of add additional rollback segment?

7. Rollback Segment and how to use the statement "Set transaction use rollback segment ???"

8. sql server and rollback segment

9. Rollback segments: ORACLE vs. SQL Server

10. Rollback Segment