R-tree vs. B-tree

Post by Joe Aloka K'Oding » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 19:12:37

Hi Folks!

What's the difference between a B-tree and an R-tree, and why would one use
one as opposed to the other?

Cheers!

Joe

R-tree vs. B-tree

Post by Andrew Mobb » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:22:09

Quote:>Hi Folks!

>What's the difference between a B-tree and an R-tree, and why would one use
>one as opposed to the other?

R-Trees are used for spatial searches, e.g. "is this object contained
within this rectangle?".

You can get Guttman's original paper on R-Trees at:
http://www.es.ucsc.edu/~tonig/rtrees/rtrees.pdf

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/

1. Databases, Data Structures, B Trees, B+ Trees, Patricia Trees

Hmmm - lots of words, only up to 8 characters, need lots of speed to
get at everything.  If I was a pessimist, I might be tempted to
assume this was a list of potential passwords ...   Hmmm ...

2. DAO, Access, Win98 vs XP

3. B trees vs. B+ trees

4. !!! E-mail & Attach file

5. RTREE vs BTREE

6. Urgent Restore problem

7. Btree/B+tree libraries

8. Oracle Developer 2000 forms designer.

9. How to SELECT tree/part of tree ?

10. R-tree or B-tree

11. trees - tree, ltree or other?

12. Translated README.tree in tree.tar.gz