To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Nuno Sou » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 22:07:59

just got it.  My Xmas present to myself.  Man, is it expen$ive down
under or what!!!!

that's one *serious* piece of work!  I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it
from end to end.  Already picked a couple of nice ideas.

There are three books that mean everything for me in Oracle.  One is
Steve's.  Another is Jonathan's.  The third is Harrison's.  I now have
four (4) books to carry around everywhere.

If this sort of quality keeps going for long, I'm gonna have to start
lobbying you folks for e-book versions!

Thanks a lot for putting it together, long overdue.

Cheers
Nuno Souto

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Ban Spa » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 23:02:27

> just got it.  My Xmas present to myself.  Man, is it expen$ive down
> under or what!!!!

> that's one *serious* piece of work!  I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it
> from end to end.  Already picked a couple of nice ideas.

> There are three books that mean everything for me in Oracle.  One is
> Steve's.  Another is Jonathan's.  The third is Harrison's.  I now have
> four (4) books to carry around everywhere.

> If this sort of quality keeps going for long, I'm gonna have to start
> lobbying you folks for e-book versions!

> Thanks a lot for putting it together, long overdue.

> Cheers
> Nuno Souto

I'll add my own FIVE star rating to Tom's book
PLUS I think it is marvelous that he also spends time here!

HAND!

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Robert Chi » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 14:22:29

Quote:>  I now have four (4) books to carry around everywhere.

I hope you're using a cart  : )

--
Robert Chin

"Nuno Souto"..

Quote:> ---SNIP
> There are three books that mean everything for me in Oracle.  One is
> Steve's.  Another is Jonathan's.  The third is Harrison's.  I now have
> four (4) books to carry around everywhere.

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Uchak » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 15:08:26

Using a cart to carry Oracle books !!!!

What an awesome idea !!!!!

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Brian Tkat » Tue, 25 Dec 2001 22:53:34

Quote:>Using a cart to carry Oracle books !!!!

>What an awesome idea !!!!!

You must have never seen the documentation that comes with DB/2....

Brian

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Uchak » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 14:11:14

What's the approximate number of
DB2 docs volumes ? Does it run into
thousands ?

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Brian Tkat » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 23:11:52

Quote:>What's the approximate number of
>DB2 docs volumes ? Does it run into
>thousands ?

I don't know. But the first box IBM sent was very large, and much to
heavy for me to lift. I believe there were some other boxes too.

I saw it in someone else's office a few years ago.

Brian

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Jim Kenned » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 02:54:37

I think what you saw in the person's office was the index to the manual.
The manual was probably on a couple of pallets in a warehouse.  Maybe that's
where the term data warehouse came from...
Jim

> >What's the approximate number of
> >DB2 docs volumes ? Does it run into
> >thousands ?

> I don't know. But the first box IBM sent was very large, and much to
> heavy for me to lift. I believe there were some other boxes too.

> I saw it in someone else's office a few years ago.

> Brian

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Brian Tkat » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 03:40:34

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 17:54:37 GMT, "Jim Kennedy"

>I think what you saw in the person's office was the index to the manual.
>The manual was probably on a couple of pallets in a warehouse.  Maybe that's
>where the term data warehouse came from...
>Jim

Cute.

Though I don't doubt it. :-)

Brian

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Uchak » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:07:43

So finally do we all accept the
approximate ratio of Oracles doc size
and DB2 DOC size as a cart of books is
to a warehouse full of books.

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Igor Lalet » Thu, 27 Dec 2001 17:57:29

> So finally do we all accept the
> approximate ratio of Oracles doc size
> and DB2 DOC size as a cart of books is
> to a warehouse full of books.

Nop. Just as to 'a couple of pallets in a warehouse' :)

To Tom Kyte, about the book.

Post by Vladimir M. Zakharyche » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 01:52:33

Hmm... Isn't it because DB2 is more advanced and feature-rich than Oracle? ;)
Or maybe because REXX is far more complex (because it's a general-purpose
language after all) than PL/SQL?

Another suggestion is that IBM tends to keep things as much 'obfuscated through
too detailed description finally leading off target' as they can. ;) OS/2 was not at
all bad OS and GUI, but they lost their race against Windows - wasn't this partly
due to too detailed documentation of the API? I'm sure there also were marketing
reasons, but finally...? Maybe IBM just tried to see if the KISS principle works?

> > So finally do we all accept the
> > approximate ratio of Oracles doc size
> > and DB2 DOC size as a cart of books is
> > to a warehouse full of books.

> Nop. Just as to 'a couple of pallets in a warehouse' :)

1. 9i books: Question for Tom Kyte and Jonathan Lewis

Are you guys planning to re-writing your much acclaimed books shortly
to incorporate 9i features?

(Sorry about rather selfish post, but I was planning to buy a personal
copy of these, but would wait if you are planning any new releases
shortly -- You see I am saving money to buy these books in this tough
times... );

Regards & Respects
Mathew

2. Informix 5.10 and VPN Connection

3. Congratulations To Tom Kyte & Howard Rogers

4. How call .Net DLL from stored procedure in SQL 2000?

5. Tom Kyte Availability Option Questions / OPS newbie

6. Could someone let me know if I'm getting through?

7. Tom Kytes book talks about N-Tier authentication.

8. error returned: e_fail status

9. Tom Kyte procedure that works in 8i will not work in 9i any ideas?

10. Thomas Kyte must be on vacation

11. RMAN suggestions sought - Sybrand, Thomas Kyte, Anyone?