Restrictions on "InLine" Views in Procedures

Restrictions on "InLine" Views in Procedures

Post by Gene Hube » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

I'm using Oracle 7.3 running on NT 3.51.

Are there restrictions on using "inline" or "immediate" views in stored
procedures?  I have a query that runs fine interactively but produces
a compile error when it is placed in a stored procedure.

The error message points to the select statment at the beginning of
the inline view and is...
  PLS-00320: the declaration of the type of this
  expression is incomplete or malformed

I've gotten some procedures with very simple inline views to compile
without error, but the query I need to run contains aggregates and
a group by and will not compile.

I've look through the oracle documentation.  I've found that I can't
use DML inside a procedure, but have been unable to find anything
that says there are restrictions on inline views.  Could it be that
most inline views cause an "implied create" and thus fail?

Thanks for any assistance,

Gene Hubert
Duke University

Restrictions on "InLine" Views in Procedures

Post by Jon » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
Could some kind soul show me, or point me to a place that shows, how
to implement these "inline" views.

Cheers,

Jon.

Restrictions on "InLine" Views in Procedures

Post by Gene Hube » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,
>Could some kind soul show me, or point me to a place that shows, how
>to implement these "inline" views.

>Cheers,

>Jon.

From Oracle help,  search all libraries for the string "immediate view"
and get a hit on "subquery in from clause".

Gene Hubert

Post by Ashok Kapu » Thu, 10 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> Could some kind soul show me, or point me to a place that shows, how
> to implement these "inline" views.

> Cheers,

> Jon.

Here's an example:

SELECT yy.a, yy.b, zz.c
FROM (SELECT a, b FROM xx) yy, zz;

(SELECT a, b FROM xx) is an inline view

Hope this helps.

--
Ashok F. Kapur    | Galaxy Latin America |
Project Engineer  | (954)958-3373        |