Help wanted re 8.1.6 Personal

Post by Bill Latha » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I downloaded the 8.1.6 personal editions, both for Windows 98 and Windows
NT. However, I'm having problems with installing both of them (well, I
really want to install only one, but when one fails, I try the other).

I have an AMD 450MHz system set up to boot either Windows 98SE or Windows
2000 using System Commander 2000. First, Windows 98: trying the typical
install with this OS either gives me a hang when it's trying to create the
database that is part of the product, or this last time, the log indicated
that it didn't like a statement in the script to install the DB. Yes, each
time I install with Windows 98, I use a Oracle-free C: partition; I simply
use Drive Copy to restore a good image of Windows 98 without the Oracle
stuff.

On Windows 2000, I get a strange error in the log indicating it's having
trouble with something involving Visual Studio. Now I do have VS 6.0
installed. However, the htm doc with the personal edition indicates that the
VS portion of Oracle isn't even installed with the typical selection.

So, I'm stumped. It was my hope to get one of these going so that I could
learn something about Oracle. Oracle assumes one is a DBA for installation
purposes, and unfortunately, all the books refer to older editions due to
the time-to-market cycle for publications. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Help wanted re 8.1.6 Personal

Post by sben.. » Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:02:27

I have the same problem trying to install on WindowsME on a AMD K6-2
400 with 192mb.
I've tried both 98 and NT installs and both fail when reading the
products saying there is an error accessing the staging area.

Anybody know what's going on here?

Quote:> I downloaded the 8.1.6 personal editions, both for Windows 98 and
Windows
> NT. However, I'm having problems with installing both of them (well, I
> really want to install only one, but when one fails, I try the other).

> I have an AMD 450MHz system set up to boot either Windows 98SE or
Windows
> 2000 using System Commander 2000. First, Windows 98: trying the
typical
> install with this OS either gives me a hang when it's trying to
create the
> database that is part of the product, or this last time, the log
indicated
> that it didn't like a statement in the script to install the DB. Yes,
each
> time I install with Windows 98, I use a Oracle-free C: partition; I
simply
> use Drive Copy to restore a good image of Windows 98 without the
Oracle
> stuff.

> On Windows 2000, I get a strange error in the log indicating it's
having
> trouble with something involving Visual Studio. Now I do have VS 6.0
> installed. However, the htm doc with the personal edition indicates
that the
> VS portion of Oracle isn't even installed with the typical selection.

> So, I'm stumped. It was my hope to get one of these going so that I
could
> learn something about Oracle. Oracle assumes one is a DBA for
installation
> purposes, and unfortunately, all the books refer to older editions
due to
> the time-to-market cycle for publications. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help wanted re 8.1.6 Personal

Post by BoatL » Tue, 21 Nov 2000 09:24:52

I recently bought a a PIII 800 MHz 128 MG RAM running Windows ME. I'm also
having the same problem trying to install Personal Oracle 8i. I have version
8.1.5