NT vs W2k vs Unix

Post by Erling S?rense » Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:51:03

Hey everyone

I have a question about whith OS is running an Oracle better.
The database is now running under Windows NT 4.0, but I have heard that it
would be better to change the OS to Unix. Is that true?
In about a year I will change all OS systems on my servers and clients from
NT and OS/2 to W2k. Should I wait untill then, and run the Oracle under W2k?

best regards
Erling

NT vs W2k vs Unix

Post by Billy Verreynn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:

> I have a question about whith OS is running an Oracle better.

away satan! :-)

Quote:> The database is now running under Windows NT 4.0, but I have heard that it
> would be better to change the OS to Unix. Is that true?
> In about a year I will change all OS systems on my servers and clients
from
> NT and OS/2 to W2k. Should I wait untill then, and run the Oracle under

W2k?

Before this thread degrades into another one of those tiresome "which o/s is
the best and has the biggest*" debates, let me throw in my 2'c of water
on a potential flame hazard...;-)

There are many factors that should be considered in deciding what o/s to
choose. The "technical superiority" (for a lack of a better phrase) of the
product is only one of the factors..

Ignoring the rants and raves.. NT is not a bad o/s. Nor is Unix. They both
can do the job. However, in some case the one can do a better job than the
other.

The question thus is, what is the job? Which brings up the various other
factors such as:
- current o/s skills of your staff
- preferred hardware vendor (pricing and maintenance)
- in-house hardware support skills
- hardware platform growth
- IT/IS strategy ito of internet, intranet, network operating system
- etc. etc.

From a techie point of view, it is always easy to say what we think is the
best. Hell, give me massive parallel cluster running Unix and Oracle
Parallel Server anytime.. most DBA's will drool over the complexity, fun,
power, frustration and challenges such a system will provide... but then a
quad Pentium server may more than suffice for your needs at 1% of the cost.

Even if you are looking for technical qualifications as to why to choose one
o/s above another, you need to specify criteria such as number of users,
size of database, types of applications, and so on, to get a usable
comparison. A straight o/s to o/s comparison is a useless and very futile
exercise that those asses in marketing and sales usually embark on.. :-)

regards,
Billy

NT vs W2k vs Unix

Post by Warren Spenc » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 06:35:34

>> I have a question about whith OS is running an Oracle better.

>away satan! :-)

>> The database is now running under Windows NT 4.0, but I have heard
>> that it would be better to change the OS to Unix. Is that true?
>> In about a year I will change all OS systems on my servers and clients
>from
>> NT and OS/2 to W2k. Should I wait untill then, and run the Oracle
>> under
>W2k?

>Before this thread degrades into another one of those tiresome "which
>o/s is the best and has the biggest*" debates, let me throw in my
>2'c of water on a potential flame hazard...;-)

OpenVMS has the biggest swangin'*.  ;-)

ws

--
<< What if there were no hypothetical questions? >>

Warren Spencer
Senior Software Engineer
The Associated Press

** My employer does not necessarily agree with my statements **

1. Oracle 7 vs 8, Unix vs NT

Is there any compact compilation of features/bugs of and differences
between

(a) Oracle running under Unix vs Win/NT (performance, satelite-products
available etc...)

and

(b) Old and New Oracle Products (Versions 7 vs 8)? I'm especially
looking for information on prblems occuring during and after migration.

Thanks!!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Restoring SQL server 6.5's Backup device in SQL Server 7.0...

3. Oracle 7 vs 8 and Oracle Unix vs Win/NT

4. If I were paranoid.....

5. Clustering vs Replication vs Log-shipping w/SQL7&W2K

6. ODBC connection using Trusted Connection

7. slow opening connection using w2k client vs nt client

8. Good book/resource for clustering MSSQL

9. Access vs Approach vs Paradox vs FilePro vs Filemaker Pro

10. Oracle vs NT vs ...

11. NT vs SCO - Oracle vs SQLServer

12. NT vs Linux vs SCO

13. POSIX Vs NT, FDDI Vs Ethernet Bus